SMSQ - Jochen Merz wrote:

Prove me wrong but most of the "documents" would be a listing here and
a small letter there. These can be printed without a problem using the
small driver utilities we have for HP and Epson.

Sorry - they cannot be printed with the small driver utilities which we have, unless you have specific printers - most modern, low cost printers (eg 99% of the EPSON range) will only print graphics !! They do not recognise a string of plain ASCII text sent to them - this is why we are faced with the problem!

Exactly this is the problem - and even if some of them are able to
print plain ASCII - this still does not help people with t87 documents
etc ... we're NOT all using PC programs - my manuals are still printed
from text87, and again - the text87patch shows that I'm not the only
one having this problem.

Side-question: is the text87 patch available for Q40 ? (I read about it for QPC). I'm lacking text87 in 1024x512 so far...
(And at which price... )

I guess that non-QPC users will soon have a second problem
in addition to the printer-language problem: how do I connect
a printer with USB to the Aurora or Q40/Q60?

Only option so far is to be picky when buying the printer, checking that there is at least a parallel port (and one that does not need ECP/EPP, but plain good old parallel port, mono-directional... and no fancy mandatory cartridge management...)
I just like my LX-800 and BJC-600...