Mike, I'm not a slicehost reseller if that's what you're asking. If that's not what you're asking but instead are asking in general about resellers then I'd be happy to chat offline about what I can provide for support, service, and pricing based on what you need.

In case it matters to folks as useful background I've been using Linux since 1994, the very early days. Jon 'Maddog' Hall used to be both a neighbor and coworker. I worked in Digital's Unix engineering group for 8 years prior to making the switch to Linux. So I've been around and know a thing or two about Linux.

Dan

Mike Raley wrote:
I'm getting the feeling that the underlying issues around "buy local" are still
at work, but due to the unique nature of hosting, in a different way.  To me at least buy
local means support the local economy, and lower externalized and hidden costs.

If you have a remote (say california, texas, etc) colo it's not local, but they
have economy of scale, lower externalized costs than local (say being close to
power, major peering points, etc), and if you go through a local reseller, you
are keeping at least some of your dollars local, plus, it keeps the massive
power generation (and it's associated negatives) centralized.

I've take a few interesting bits from this discussion (some of which I already
knew)

1) localized hosting is a dead end business idea unless you have a unique value
added proposition, or major number of customers! (already knew)

2) There is little to no interest in local hosting in the area.  Economies of
scale, and the benefits they bring are just too tantalizing (guessed, but had
no clear data)

3) Using something like slice host through a resller, works fairly well as a
hybrid between buy local and getting the best bang for your buck!

So, who are the local resllers? :)

Mike