On 8 Sep 2005, at 10:43 AM, Andreas Boehmer [Addictive Media] wrote:

But not everybody can afford this kind of employment mix. If you are a full time lecturer all you can rely on is books, training courses and seminars to
learn from.

What about the web itself?

That's actually no different to being a student, with the
exception that the lecturer has got a full time job in addition to having to
learn all the stuff they have to then teach.

...and that's no different from having a full-time job as a developer, and having to research - and learn - all the new stuff.

This industry makes it really hard to be a good long-term teacher, I think. If you are professor of mathematics you can pretty much rely on things not changing too much over the years. But teaching web development or something
similar requires you to be learning new things non-stop.

Of course it does - as does any field that is based on emerging, and rapidly changing, technology. Sorry, but 'I haven't got time' is a copout, IMO. I think what's more relevant is how long it takes for curriculum changes to be formulated, approved, and implemented - which takes time, because of the administrative structure of so many educational institutions. I know - I've worked on curriculum development committees in the past, and it took two years for the changes to reach the students - by which time the real world had moved on...

Omnivision. Websight.
http://www.omnivision.com.au/