Powercode without Simon is like a castrated bull.  Looks like a bull but can it
get the job done as things change into the future?

From: That One Guy /sarcasm
Sent: Friday, September 16, 2016 9:39 AM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Billing system survey rehash

We use Powercode, they ebb and flow. Other than simon who escaped by the skin
of his teeth after murdering the guy before him I think they have gladiator
fights for the lead role because every time a new lead comes in the last one
disappears off the face of the earth. I imagine being in the office up there
looks like something out of mad max.

But overall, its a satisfying product, the inventory component is absolutely
useless, but the rest is pretty reliable. Customers like the feel of the portal
interface, I would prefer we had the ability to manipulate it more, but I also
want my own pony named Miguel.
Support responsiveness is normally pretty good, occasionally it gets meh, but I
think you have that with any company depending on the work load.

What I do like about it, is that I dont have to know much to manage it, The
server build is down to a cut and past CLI job if it needs rebuilt. It performs
well in a decent VM host.

It really appears they are moving away from user driven development (there used
to be constant interaction) toward more of a programmed development cycle,
which is good and bad, but mostly a positive move.

It would be nice if they had clean IPAM, i still have a set of excel
spreadsheets for master subnet documentation, but I dont think there is such a
beast in IPAM that would satisfy everyone.

The ticketing system became super useful once they added external email
accounts, it allowed us to decommission a secondary ticketing system. Its only
good for our ISP side, not our contract services side however because it doesnt
offer clean time tracking or multiple tech separation

My boss is very frugal when it comes to anything that generates a recurring
cost, and he sees Powercode as a beneficial recurring cost, so that does say
something about the product.

I cuss them every couple months over something or other, its usually 50/50
whether its something I screwed up, or a bug in their system, but it always
gets resolved. We have an ongoing issue with email fetching that happens, but
they gave me a cli tool to resolve it, and its caused by something external and
outside their control, so I cant hold it against them.

There is currently no way to easily reset the tracking metrics on tickets and
times, but thats no deal breaker, they will eventually clean it up.

If youre looking for actual inventory management with any type of valuation,
its definetly not the product. Azotel had that when we were looking into them,
and I think you could tie in crystal reports to get some really amazing data,
but it seems like Azotel went to sleep