Part of "SDN" (vomit.. I can't believe I just used that acronym), is
knowing what the options are first.

1 For that you need BGP.

2 Then you need some way of performance testing multiple paths from various
points.

Then you need to use information from 1 & 2 to programmatically select
$bestPath based on $criteria.

Certain ISPs, Enterprises, and vendors are already doing things like this.