I wrote a lengthy paper in college about "What if there was a civil war in
the US?

The entire west coast and the north east end up having the best / largest
ports, the majority of modern goods and services, and the best academic
institutions. The south and midwest have production capability and
agriculture, but its limited to the levels of the 40s and 50s without
support from the major ports and international treaties. Alaska ends up
breaking away to become its own country, but possibly a Canadian territory
due to supply lanes, oil, and the large fishing industry - this allows it
to trade with its only land-connected partner.

Texas breaks away and tries to do its own thing for awhile. Likely builds a
(larger) wall between it and Mexico. After a few years it realizes it no
longer has the manpower to fuel its agricultural and essential services
needs and reopens trade and borders with Mexico but from a much weaker

Ports on the mideast and southeast and the gulf can't handle the size of
ships the south and midwest really need for low cost goods, and much of the
shipping logistics end up taking much, much longer.

There's more and its quite complicated from several angles, I was just
doing the best I could in the time allowed. Ended up with an A+, so it had
to be at least somewhat decent/factual.

Basically, it ends up being a giant cluster fuck. More "Baltic states / E/W
Germany" than "Modern Europe".

On Oct 16, 2016 10:37 PM, "That One Guy /sarcasm" <thatoneguyst...@gmail.com>