Mike and Bob,

There seems to be a massive confusion between data and information here. To
illustrate:
1.  A movie is just data until it is analyzed to extract some (if any) *
useful* information.
2.  A verbal description is typically somewhere in between, as it contains
bits of ???, some of which may be useful, and some of which may NOT be
useful.
3.  A person interaction typically contains more *useful* information,
because it can be directed to extract useful information.

>From Shannon's Information theory, we get the effect of the signal to noise
ration (S/N) which determines just how much real information is in a bit of
data. However, often missed is the fact that there are some commonly missed
sources of noise.
1.  A parameter cannot be accurately extracted, e.g. is the dog happy? Sure
we can guess, but the result will probably contain substantially less than
one bit of information.
2.  Do we have any use for the "information". If not, then it is just more
noise to discard, like the news report on an adjacent channel to the one we
are listening to. In this example, what decisions hinge on the dog's
prospective happiness? This might be really important to know if I plan to
stick my hand into his mouth, but uninteresting if I am just going to feed
him some dog food,.

Hence, while there is a LOT more data in a movie than in a verbal
description, there may well be more useful  information in a verbal
description.

Continuing with your postings...

On 12/11/08, Mike Tintner <tint...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> I thought someone would come up with the kind of objection you have put
> forward. Your objection is misplaced. ( And here we have an example of what
> I meant by "knowing [metacognitively about] imaginative intelligence" -
> understanding metacognitively how imagination works).

The important part here is the "meta", namely, the information that would
NOT appear even on a movie, e.g. the time, place, people's names, context,
etc.

> Consider what an image sequence/ movie of Ben talking to you would show.
> Ben talking to you, uttering certain words, making certain gestures; his
> face showing certain expressions.

Not very interesting unless Ben is talking about something that I am
interested in.

> What you're bringing up here is not what the movie shows, but what went on
> in your mind - your reactions - as you, in a sense, watched and listened to
> that movie - and wondered about what was going on in Ben's mind *behind the
> scenes*. "What does he really think and feel about this, that and the other
> (as distinct from the limited amount of information he is actually
> expressing)?" We all react and think similarly to other people all the time
> and wonder about what's going on *invisibly* in their minds.

I suspect that this process fails when applied to either Ben or myself.

> But an image/movie can only be compared with a verbal statement in terms of
> what it *actually shows*  - the *surface, visible action.* His actual,
> observable dialogue and gestures and expressions - that and only that is
> what a movie records with high fidelity..

You are presuming that the verbal statementment is ONLY based on the movie.
However, if I were to produce a report on Ben at Convergence08, it would
include lots of things that I probably would NOT have captured if I had a
video recorder, some of which would have been tested and refined in
conversation with Ben.

> In terms of those actual actions, an image/ image sequence is *infinitely*
> superior to any verbal description. No verbal description could *begin* to
> convey to you his particular smile and the curl of his lips, the drone of
> his voice, the precise music of his statements, the tangled state of his
> hair, the way he tosses his hair etc. etc.  No words could tell or show you
> his state of body - his posture and attitude - at 10.05.01-to-10.05.02  pm.

Lots of refined data, but little useful information. The nice thing about
verbal communication is that it typically only includes prospectively useful
information.

> [Words (along with other symbols, like numbers and algebraic symbols) can
> only provide the *formulae* for objects - their constitutents. They can
> never provide you, as images do, with actual maps of the whole *forms* of
> objects - and therefore the layout of those constituents. They can never
> give us - and we can never "get the picture". of those objects.

There is a BIG difference between a surface image and a complete ontological
understanding.

> Consider a verbal statement:
>
> "The Alsatian suddenly bit the man on the face."
>
> What you have there is a complex action decomposed into a set of words - a
> verbal formula. How much do you now know about the action being referred to?
>

> Now try an image:of the same:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk9yHKQRE94&feature=related
>
> Notice the difference? Now you've seen the whole dog engaging in the whole
> action - and you've got the picture - the whole form, not just the formula]

However, what USEFUL information do you get from this movie, that might
prospectively affect your future actions, that couldn't prospectively be put
into words.

A friend of mine once fought and killed an attacking St Bernard dog with his
bare hands. While I suspect that a movie of this would have been
spectacular, the USEFUL information is how it is possible to kill a
vicious attacking animal with your bear hands. Secret - when they lunge to
bite you, you cram your fist as far down their throat as is humanly possible
and then expand it to block their airway. Of course, this expansion would
NOT be visible on a movie. The animal then suffocates as the battle
continues. This fellow has the scars on his upper arms that show what this
fight must have been like. Here, a still picture wouldn't convey much more
useful information than a description, but sometimes, a picture really IS
worth a thousand words in proving a point.

> And here's the reason I talk about understanding metacognitively about
> imaginative intelligence. (I don't mean to be disparaging - I understand
> comparably little re logic, say]. If you were a filmmaker, say, and had
> thought about the problems of filmmaking, you would probably be alive to the
> difference between what images show - people's actual faces and voices - and
> what they can't show - what lies behind - their hidden thoughts and
> emotions.  And you wouldn't have posed your objection.

We obviously still have some issues regarding data vs. prospectively useful
information to iron out.

Steve Richfield