“However will the sport cope with all self launching gliders?” The last words
of the 1956 version of ‘Around the world in 80 days’ come to mind for some
reason.

From: Mike Borgelt
Sent: Saturday, September 17, 2016 5:57 PM
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] [gfaforum] DIana 2

There is also a GP15 15 meter version under construction. Same fuselage as the
13.5 M version. Nicer looking than the Diana 2.
The wing sure looks similar to that on a Diana 2 but with winglets. The 13.5 M
version wing weighs 31 Kg each side. Easy to rig by one person.
The 15M looks to be a seriously good competition glider with a very wide wing
FES).
A welcome change from the trend to making gliders converge on the B-52.
There is some new battery tech on the horizon too which will mean a 10Kw-hour
battery weighs only 25 Kg. Allegedly will be safer than current Li-ion tech
too. This should be enough for a launch and subsequent climb of at least 8000
feet.
However will the sport cope with all self launching gliders?

Mike