Even with the new battery tech you'll only get about 1 hour endurance at cruise power (65%)if you replace the Rotax and max (optional 31.7 US gallons) fuel.

Nice self launcher with good retrieve capability but you lose the "travelling motor glider" bit.

With electric it is probably not optimum to have the nose mounted folding prop either. A retractable rear mounted electric motor on a streamlined retractable pylon may give you a more efficient larger diameter propeller and a shorter and lighter landing gear. That would

translate into more battery capacity of course or a lower flying weight.

Electric flight will work for self launch gliders because the power is usually required for only a few minutes. Same for jet gliders. Doesn't work for any kind of serious cruise capability. The other place electric will work is in distributed power for VTOL small aircraft.

The new battery tech makes a 600 Kg two seat VTOL aircraft possible with good cruise speed and range but using an IC engine for cruise and battery/electric for takeoff and landing.

The battery tech I'm talking about is here:http://www.solidenergysystems.com/ and here http://www.nature.com/nature/outlook/batteries/pdf/batteries.pdf The "secret sauce" appears to be the safe electrolyte.

This outfit looks good to me because the batteries can be built on existing Li-ion battery manufacturing equipment so no vast capital investment required. As they say, they don't want to manufacture batteries but will licence their chemistry so I'd expect the batteries to

come from existing battery manufacturers and price shouldn't be too high either. They are talking about commercial electronic applications now and EV applications in 2018. Given the usual rules of hi tech (everything takes longer and costs more) you may be able to

buy these batteries around 2020 I think.

Mike