³Microsoft offers the OS and Office at extremely competitive prices to
schools.  I have heard it quoted as being around £5 per license for Office.²

It is cheaper but not that cheap...

For example:

MS Office single license = £43 + £25 Software assurance
Windows Server Standard (Single License) = £85 + £42 software assurance

³Parents have an expectation that MS Office will be taught in the classroom
as it is what they know and use in their work place.²

Most parents I know are not that worried about what is used but they are
concerned about compatibility with their home machine etc.

³The majority of schools have limited IT resources and might have limited
experience of using and securing Linux and other open source software.  They
could be substantial costs in retraining staff.²

Yes they would have limited experience but nothing a bit of training
wouldn¹t cover IMO.

³I totally agree that opensource has a great to offer schools with
applications like Moodle, Audacity and many others, but currently I don't
think many schools are ready for Linux/Ubuntu and OpenOffice.²

I don¹t think most users would care if you ran Ubuntu/OpenOffice.  Beyond
that we come back to my argument regarding the user interface where,
unfortunately, most of the open source software loses out big time!

Alun Rowe
Pentangle Internet Limited
2 Buttermarket
Thame
Oxfordshire
OX9 3EW
Tel: +44 8700 339905
Fax: +44 8700 339906
Please direct all support requests to mailto:it-supp...@pentangle.co.uk
Pentangle Internet Limited is a limited company registered in England and
Wales. Registered number: 3960918. Registered office: 1 Lauras Close, Great
Staughton, Cambridgeshire PE19 5DP

This message (and any associated files) is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that
is confidential, subject to copyright or constitutes a trade secret. If you are
not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
copying or distribution of this message, or files associated with this message,
notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your
computer. Messages sent to and from us may be monitored.

Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
incomplete, or contain viruses. Therefore, we do not accept responsibility for
any errors or omissions that are present in this message, or any attachment,
that have arisen as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is
required, please request a hard-copy version. Any views or opinions presented
are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the
company.