> It goes deeper than this; currently there is no place in the
> national curriculum to teach kids to touch type. So even
> though they will most likely spend a large part of their time
> on a keyboard no one thinks it appropriate to teach them an
> effective way to do that.

Bet they know who was the king of England in 1658 though :) [1]

We place some interesting priorities on education.  It took years to get
even basic cooking skills on the educational menu, and even now it's
often shoved into hour long classes where no one has time to do anything
properly.  I didn't learn cookery at school.  Bit I did make a coat hook
in metalwork...

[1] Actually they don't but there's plenty of people who would place
that knowledge above typing skills.