One thing to keep in mind regarding MSP is that it's only "sortof" a
protocol.  The specification is really unclear when it comes to
implementing things, and it doesn't define almost all of the use cases that
actually matter to modern games.  I sat down at one point and started
writing an update to the spec that better handled things like downloads and
versioning, but it turned out to be complicated enough that it wasn't
worthwhile.

For a description of the nonstandard things that Alter Aeon's MSP
implementation does, you might want to take a look at
http://alteraeon.com/articles/alter_aeon_msp_protocol.html.

The lack of a good specification is at least part of the reason that MSP
isn't used in more places.

-dentin

Alter Aeon MUD
http://www.alteraeon.com