Deborah Harrell wrote:

> --- Nick Arnett wrote:
> <snippage>
> > Make that "a *self*-moderated list."
> >
> > Perhaps anonymity of dingers and dingees, is, indeed
> > bad.  Maybe anonymous
> > dings should be available, but count far, far less
> > than non-anonymous dings.  Others' thoughts?
>
> I personally would prefer to know who (and why).  If I
> am convinced someone needs dinging, I am willing to
> have my opinion made public.  If someone wants to ding
> me, I'd like to know what I said that offended them (I
> really do try to avoid personal slams, sleep
> deprivation notwithstanding :( ), so that I could
> modify my behavior in the future.
>
> If someone wants to 'ding' anonymously, perhaps they
> should be able to OFFLIST a listowner who would then
> post "It has been brought to my attention..." or some
> such.  Although that would make more work for
> listowners (who of course have _nothing_ better to
> do!) Or we could have a monthly rotating committee of
> arbiters, from the regular posters, sort of like a
> jury, to which such a request could be made.
>
> But transparency would be easier.  And more in the
> spirit of IAAMOAC.

What I would like would be an automated[1] system with  web-based
interface where the dinger indicates who they want to ding, with a field
for explanation for the ding, and for anonymous dinging to be possible,
but penalized; the dingee would be notified via e-mail of the ding, and
the explanation included in the e-mail.

On the penalty side of things, I'm thinking something along the lines
of:

non-anonymous ding = 0.1 ding  (because it *should* cost you to ding
someone)
anonymous ding     = 0.3 ding  (because it should cost you more to be
anonymous)

(This is somewhat proctonumerological.  Take with as much salt as you
deem necessary.)

Oh, and that there be a webpage where you can look at all the dings you
have received, with expirations of each, and all the dings you have
given, with the same.  (Being able to request such a list via e-mail, or
be set up for an automated mailing of this once every 24 hours might be
nice, as well, as long as I'm making a wishlist here....)

Having a page with all active dings documented for any listmember to see
would be nice, as well.

[1] An automated system would make it *much* easier on admins....

        Julia