--- Erik Reuter wrote:
> Julia Thompson wrote:
> > non-anonymous ding = 0.1 ding  (because it
> *should* cost you to ding someone)
> > anonymous ding     = 0.3 ding  (because it should
> cost you more to be anonymous)

> ...Anyway, I will say that those numbers are MUCH
> too low. It shouldn't be cheap to impose your
> opinion on others, and
> it should be VERY expensive to impose it
> anonymously. When there is
> no judge or jury, the sacrifice made by the
> vigilante should be AT LEAST
> as much as the punishment suffered by the
> "misbehaver".
>
> So, if dinging must be implemented (which I'm not
> sure is a good idea but
> if people want to try it), I suggest:
>
> transparent ding = 2 dings
> anonymous ding = 10 dings

Why, if the 'vigilante's' sacrifice is to be "at
least" as much as the 'offender', would a transparent
ding get TWO demerits?  Wouldn't _one_ be at least as
much?  >:o

An anonymous dinger should certainly have a higher
price to 'pay' also (though I'm not sure that _ten_
dings is fair either).

Anyone who abuses a 'ding' system should censured
strongly (banned from the list for a specified time?
Denied the option to ever use the 'ding' system
again?).

Debbi
who thinks it's too bad that 'community shunning'
rather than an 'official demerit' hasn't worked