--- Erik Reuter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 11:37:52AM -0800, Gautam
> Mukunda wrote:
>
> > For all practical purposes a nation the size of
> California has been
> > defeated by one British and the equivalent of
> about 3+ American
> > Divisions.
>
> Already defeated? Are you sure you're not counting
> your chickens before
> they're hatched? I hope you're right, but I fear
> there may be some
> serious fighting yet to come.

> "Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I think there will probably be significant fighting
yet to come - but I think it is also clear that the
forces in theater are more than sufficient to defeat
Iraq's armies in the field.  They might retreat to
Baghdad and try and make life difficult for us, but
they can't _win_ on the battlefield, at least.  They
can just delay their loss for a little while -
probably not even that long.  This is an astonishing
feat.  I do hope that the people who were criticizing
the plan as a failure feel at least a little
embarassed, though - I find it amazing that so many
members of the media (although not the general public
which was, as usual, far wiser than so-called elites)
were panicked because victory did not come
instantaneously.

Gautam