On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 01:27:55PM -0700, Gautam Mukunda wrote:

> --- Richard Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > In your opinion, are the European media more biased than the US
> > media?  In my opinion, the British media, at least, are considerably
> > more balanced than those US news channels I see (CNN, Fox). I can't
> > speak for newspapers though - I just read the (London) Sunday Times,
> > New Scientist and sometimes the Economist.
>
> I think so, yes.  Take a look at Anne Applebaum's excellent article
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A42230-2003Jun10.html on
> the extent to which European perspectives on the US are distorted -
> then think about how much worse it must be for Israel.

I think she blames a fair amount of the distorted view that many
Europeans have for America on Bush's arrogance and poor diplomacy:

  Partly, and more legitimately, it comes from ill-judged decisions by
  the administration, such as the refusal to call the Guantanamo Bay
  captives "prisoners of war," which happens to be what they are.

  At the moment, prospects for change are slim. The administration's
  stunningly inept diplomacy in Europe isn't doing much to improve
  matters, nor is the low-level arrogance that still drips out of the
  White House and the Pentagon.

--
"Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       http://www.erikreuter.net/