On Monday, June 30, 2003, at 02:34 pm, Ray Ludenia wrote:

iaamoac wrote:

Moreover, hopefully by then Social Security will be means-tested,
forcing those who have saved to not realy upon the efforts of those
1.5 workers for sustenance.

The implication being that those who have saved should be penalised for their thrift? As a general principle I agree with your comment (means testing) but for two people with similar earnings and circumstances, it seems unfair to disadvantage the frugal one.

Regards, Ray.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/cash/story/0,6903,930367,00.html

The latest twist on our social security pension system is the 'savings credit' where people with low incomes who have saved for their retirement get an *extra* top-up from the government to reward them compared to those who have not saved who receive only the minimum guarantee credit.

--
William T Goodall
Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life" - Terry Pratchett