iaamoac wrote:

> --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Erik Reuter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I'm referring to the problem of only 1.5 workers per
> > retired person (if retirement stays at 65) in 2050.
>
> Which it won't.  As advances in medicine make people more able-bodied
> older, *and* as evidence accumulates that on-going activity can help
> prevent Alzheimer's, I think we will see people working longer and
> longer.
>
> Moreover, hopefully by then Social Security will be means-tested,
> forcing those who have saved to not realy upon the efforts of those
> 1.5 workers for sustenance.

I'm all for that.  And we're doing our darnedest to save enough so that
we don't need dime one of Social Security.

Basically, if something more drastic than what is currently planned
isn't done, the system will collapse.  And we'll pay our taxes now and
try to save enough to retire on without the help of anyone else, so as
to NOT contribute to the problem.  (We think we're being realists on
this.)

        Julia