The reason why you don't run into this with PHP, ASP, and JSP (actually, I avoid JSP)
is that they are interpreted languages, like the current CFML is sort of, and the old
CF was.

You do get this with Perl. Perl requires compilation time. Actually, some of the
advanced CPAN/Perl/PHP stuff I've done lately does require an App compilation.

The fact of the matter is that while we provide you with CFML, a RAD development
language, which is then interpreted into Java bytecode, we have not left the RAD
ideal, in "my" mind, RAD is a style of language that allows you rapid development, NOT
taking into account the deployment of application, rather, I don't believe that we
"left" RAD behind due to JIT time.

While it would be optimal to have all the benefits that we've garnered with CFMX
without the compile time, I believe the benefits we have gained outweigh the extra
10-20 seconds it takes to view a source page. You'd get the same thing with Perl.

The CFML language is maturing, that's a fact of life. One of the biggest limitations
facing "RAD" languages such as PHP, or ASP even is the fact that there is a barrier in
their efficiency when trying to stick to the interpreted schema. PHP has even realized
this.

That's why you have about 10 trillion PHP modules to bypass (or "expand") on the
limitations found in an interpreted language. By moving more towards a traditional
compile approach, we garner assets in regards to language expansion and integration,
and scalability.

The performance increase *is* noticeable in a production environment. Scalability is
the key. As a general rule, compiled and tuned binaries will almost ALWAYS outrun and
outperform interpreted command-driven applications of the same ilk.

Jesse Noller
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Macromedia Server Development
Unix/Linux "special guy"