Went out over the week and had a great sail out, but some problems along the way. But I have two maintanence issues.

1.  Automatic Bilge Switch problems

Alera is factory wired for a manual switch and then a hot lead to the bilge to use with the switch. There was no auto switch on her when we got her a few years ago and since we keep her in the water all year, I needed to install one. I like state of the art electronics so I went with the fully electronic Ultima Bilge Pump Switch. Instead of mounting the switch to a 1/4" piece of plywood as instructed, I mounted it to the floor of the Bilge directly. which may be contributing to the bad cycling problem. The first one I installed started coming on and refusing to shut down until we cycled the manual switch. This week end it was so bad I just pulled the fuse. This weirdness had started when we were on our summer cruise. So, I had a replacement switch on board. I replaced the switch, but may have screwed the wiring up. It ran, but did not shut down. So, as I have been doing before when it would not shut down, I cycled the manual switch and it shut down...but from the way it shut down, I suspect I fried something because the switch is not working at all now. I checked the breaker panel and all's well there. The in line fuse I installed with the switch is fine as well. The manual switch is still functional...thank god! (see 2 below!)

2  Dripping dripless bearing

In March when I had her bottom painted I had the yard (Seaview West in Seattle) install a brand new dripless bearing. As a result of the bilge switch issue I decided to check the bilge on the 2 hour run back yesterday. The bilge was substantially filled. I traced the ingress to the dripless bearing which was spewing water everywhere. Not enough to outpace the electric bilge pump or require whalegusher intervention. After we docked I checked and the rotor was loose enough for me to turn it on the shaft. I am getting the documentation from the yard to make sure I get the right parts, but as I understand it, I should not just tighten the set screws, but replace them to be sure they bite, then use a 2nd set crew and lock tight to lock them in place.

Any thoughts on these electronic switches, alternatives, dripless bearing maintenance or anything else?

Tom B

Tom Buscaglia
SV Alera
1990 C&C 37+/40