Thanks Bill, thats much better than I've been able to achieve with dt. I clearly need to spend time learning how to use the highlight reconstruction module!

Before posting the inevitable Lightroom comparison, let me say that I really don't like using that software. I have a long list of complaints, most of which are well addressed by darktable. I've been using darktable on my home linux machine for quite some time, and have been pleased with the results.

Then along came the windows version of dt. Great, I thought, I can now use the same image processing software on my windows laptop and my linux desktop. And so it was. But of course it was now all too easy to compare results on my laptop between the two programs. It was then that I started to notice that Lightroom does do a better job of highlight recovery than darktable.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1o1q6xpj6pba2s7/Lightroom_final.jpg?dl=0

As I've mentioned before, I'm very conscious of the fact that dt is a gift from the developers, who obviously take a lot of pride in their work. So this should not be taken as a 'complaint', more a suggestion for improvements.

Hope  this isn't all TLDR!

Peter