On 11/29/23 12:58, Dan Ritter wrote:
gene heskett wrote:
Greetings all;

I have a 3d printer, an arm64 controller running ambian buster
it has an address of 169.254.xx.xx/16

That IP suggests that it has not got a static IP or a DHCP
address, and doesn't know what the local network is.

Do you actually run your internal network on 169.254?

Country boy dumb maybe, stoopid no. All my stuff is 192.168.xxx.xxx
This printer is setup for dhcp, and there are zero dhcp servers on my network, its not even enabled in dd-wrt. All hosts file based here. I can edit /etc/hosts on the printer but so far the only thing I have tried is by nameserver 192.168.xxx.xxx in its resolv.conf, and while that enables the dns lookup so while I can ping -c1 yahoo.com, which gets its address, but the reply does not get back to the printer, 100% packet loss.

So here I am, hat in hand.

it can ping this machine but something is killing full net access, so it
can't set its time.

It can talk to this machine by address.  Running bookworm here.

There was at onetime, the ability to make this machine serve as a lower
level time server so it should be possible to have this printers time
requests satisfied by this machine which s/b within a millisecond or 2 of
the master clock in Boulder CO.

Is there a ready made package for that? Or, can this be enabled in systemd
stuff?

apt install ntp
or
apt install ntpsec
or
apt install chrony

I just looked at all 3, but what happens to systemd.timesync.d or whatever its called. Don't they start a fight?

The defaults for Debian time packages use the Debian NTP pool:

https://www.pool.ntp.org/

-dsr-
.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.