On 11/29/23 14:03, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Wed, Nov 29, 2023 at 01:17:18PM -0500, Dan Purgert wrote:
'ntpd' I think (or is it systemd-timed or something like that nowadays?)

Gene's system is running some derivative of buster (Debian 10).
No I am not, Greg, been running bookworm for almost a year on this machine. It is the 3d printer, a QIDI X-MAX 3, which is running armbian buster that I am trying to fix. At least enough to set its clock, which is about a year out of date ATM.

Just now did a powerdown which restarts it at:Sun 01 Jan 2023 06:02:14 AM PST

I have added some of my hosts file into its hosts file, and I can ping back and forth, and a valid ipv4 nameserver to resolv.conf and ping is working locally. But I can't find where its setting its default ipv4 address to the avahi bs, even with grep -r.

If I remember correctly, buster did not enable systemd-timed by
default.

This one actually has an /etc/systemd/timesyncd,conf but its default, totally commented out except for the [time] line.

  The "ntp" package should be available, as well as "chrony".
This was of course before the ntp -> ntpsec transition which happened
in Debian 12.

ATP if I can make chrony sub for systemd's timesyncd, as chrony claims to be a client and a server, then point the ntp queries to this machine, its should not be more than 1 or 2 milliseconds out of time, plenty good enough for the girls I might go with. Heck, I was doing it in 1998 with rh5.0 to keep my full blown amiga on time. But tons of changes have blockaided me in late 2023.

It seems to me that if timesyncd is replacing the ntp stuff, it ought to be a full replacement but the word server is not mentioned in the docs I've read so far today.

So I need hand holding guidance. And the client is running armbian buster, 64 bit. On a rockchip board.
Thanks all.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis