On Wed, Nov 29, 2023 at 7:06 PM Dan Purgert <d...@djph.net> wrote:

> On Nov 29, 2023, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 29, 2023 at 01:17:18PM -0500, Dan Purgert wrote:
> > > 'ntpd' I think (or is it systemd-timed or something like that nowadays?)
> >
> > Gene's system is running some derivative of buster (Debian 10).
> > If I remember correctly, buster did not enable systemd-timed by
> > default.  The "ntp" package should be available [...]
>
> Right, I recall it being ntp (vaguely, at least up through Debian9 /
> Stretch), but the actual defaults of 9/10/11 are a bit fuzzier.

I recently performed an upgrade from a really old release (Jessie or
Stretch) to something newer (Bullseye, iirc). It is an old LePotato
dev board, so it has been neglected for some time.

The board's time was a bit munged. It was a day behind, like no
adjustments were being made. When I checked, both ntp and
systemd-timesyncd were installed, but neither were configured
correctly.

I removed the ntp gear, reinstalled systemd-timesyncd, enabled the
service, and things have been fine since then.

I'm not sure how I got into the state where both ntp and
systemd-timesyncd were installed, but neither were being used. It may
have been something I did a long time ago.

Jeff