On 11/29/23 17:52, Dan Purgert wrote:
On Nov 29, 2023, gene heskett wrote:
On 11/29/23 14:03, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Wed, Nov 29, 2023 at 01:17:18PM -0500, Dan Purgert wrote:
'ntpd' I think (or is it systemd-timed or something like that nowadays?)

Gene's system is running some derivative of buster (Debian 10).
No I am not, Greg, been running bookworm for almost a year on this machine.
It is the 3d printer, a QIDI X-MAX 3,  which is running armbian buster that
I am trying to fix. At least enough to set its clock, which is about a year
out of date ATM.

Just now did a powerdown which restarts it at:Sun 01 Jan 2023 06:02:14 AM
PST

I have added some of my hosts file into its hosts file, and I can ping back
and forth, and a valid ipv4 nameserver to resolv.conf and ping is working
locally. But I can't find where its setting its default ipv4 address to the
avahi bs, even with grep -r.

Avahi BS?  APIPA ("A"utomatic "P"rivate "IP" "A"ddressing) is not
avahi/mDNS (aka Bonjour / Zeroconf).

Your DHCP client giving you an APIPA address is indicative of broken
DHCP, and the fix is either:

   A. Fix your broken DHCP
   B. Set the machine up with a static IP address

I'm kind of surprised that an Armbian box doesn't have a hwclock that
you can set the proper time on, to survive reboots (but anyway, I
imagine once you get the machine running with a valid IP address for
your network, it'll be able to use whatever time-sync service armbian
ships with (quick ddg search implies it ships with chrony installed /
setup as default).

I'll have to check that, but installing chrony here on this bookworm box will remove the systemd thing, which is present on the armbian buster installed on it. ISTR I had the rpi4 setup on buster raspios plus my rt kernel, and that static entry IIRC was in /etc/network/interfaces, which I haven't tried yet. Was that buster or did they have a better place. Tickled my memory, /etc/dhcpcd.conf would appear to be the place. But I'll have to compose 100% of the option "static".

HTH :)

It may have, thank you Dan.  Take care & stay well.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis