Lots of snip…

> My point is that having "proper" entries inside a "$0-month is
> unintuitive.

I don't find entries that add up to 0 unintiutive at all.

> Not having to jump around months to make sense of the one
> payment that *did* happen seems more intuitive.

That I agree is intuitive.

We may want to eventually have separate views for "payment history"
versus "patronage history" or something, but I feel this discussion is
getting too far off down the line into speculative future.

The ideal thing that I would expect as a user is to be able to look at
any one month, see the exact status of everything as it was at that
month and also have a different running view where I can see when some
event happened and be able to quickly skip (i.e. it would not show) any
months of no activity.