> Plus isn’t this a configurable setting? i.e. when I open a PR from my fork I 
> can “allow edits from maintainers” 
> <https://docs.github.com/en/pull-requests/how-tos/work-with-forks/allowing-changes-to-a-pull-request-branch-created-from-a-fork>,
>  and you could argue I’m opting into this approach by checking that box.

Yes. It is. For example all astronomer people contributing from
astronomer repo have it disabled :D

On Tue, Oct 6, 2026 at 6:47 PM Julian LaNeve via dev
<[email protected]> wrote:
>
> This may be a personal thing but when I’ve made contributions to other OSS 
> projects I generally care more about getting the change in than I am attached 
> to my particular code / implementation. So I always look at it as a win-win 
> when someone takes my contribution and runs with it - I can always go back 
> and look at the changes to learn if I want.
>
> Plus isn’t this a configurable setting? i.e. when I open a PR from my fork I 
> can “allow edits from maintainers” 
> <https://docs.github.com/en/pull-requests/how-tos/work-with-forks/allowing-changes-to-a-pull-request-branch-created-from-a-fork>,
>  and you could argue I’m opting into this approach by checking that box.
>
> > On Oct 6, 2026, at 12:40 PM, Jarek Potiuk <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Just to share my experience - I think I did it many times (more than
> > 50) and never got any push-back. But of course that might be because
> > people are shy / afraid to oppose me (I have a reputation for being
> > difficult).
> > But when you think about it, there is no big **issue**:
> >
> > * merging means that is no longer **author's code** - it becomes
> > "community code"
> > * maintainer's job is to make sure that the code is good and
> > maintainable (this approach makes it works)
> > * authorship remains - but also it's there is a co-author (this is
> > what is recorded in commit)
> > * if the committer does not agree with author, they can merge follow
> > up commit changing things anyway
> >
> > So - putting aside some possible personal ("it's my own, my precious")
> > approach - I see no disadvantages of such an approach.
> >
> > J.
> >
> >
> > On Tue, Oct 6, 2026 at 6:28 PM Ferruzzi, Dennis via dev
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>
> >> I've definitely considered it, but have not yet done it.  I think I'm 
> >> concerned that the contributor may take it the wrong way rather than "I 
> >> just fixed it while I was in there" and "it took just as long to fix it as 
> >> it would have taken to explain it".
> >>
> >> - ferruzzi
> >> ________________________________
> >> From: Jarek Potiuk <[email protected]>
> >> Sent: Tuesday, October 6, 2026 1:17 AM
> >> To: [email protected] <[email protected]>
> >> Subject: [EXT] [DISCUSS] Merging "almost" ready PRs with maintainer-fixups 
> >> from contributors
> >>
> >> CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not 
> >> click links or open attachments unless you can confirm the sender and know 
> >> the content is safe.
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> AVERTISSEMENT: Ce courrier électronique provient d’un expéditeur externe. 
> >> Ne cliquez sur aucun lien et n’ouvrez aucune pièce jointe si vous ne 
> >> pouvez pas confirmer l’identité de l’expéditeur et si vous n’êtes pas 
> >> certain que le contenu ne présente aucun risque.
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> Hello everyone,
> >>
> >> In order to improve our "agentic AI" workflows, I have recently
> >> changed my approach for pull requests that are "almost ready" and need
> >> only small fixes, such as mechanical conflicts, typos, or minor
> >> comment updates. I would love to get your feedback on this pattern.
> >>
> >> Previously, when a PR had one or two minor issues, I would approve it,
> >> add inline comments specifying the necessary changes, and ask the
> >> author to fix them. Recently, I have often adopted this approach
> >> instead:
> >>
> >>  - Make inline comments explaining the issue
> >>  - Rebase and remove conflicts if needed
> >>  - Apply the fixup myself (pushing directly to the contributor's branch).
> >>  - Comment and resolve my own inline comments.
> >>  - Approve and merge once CI checks pass.
> >>
> >> I only do this for small gaps, edge cases, mechanical fixes, or
> >> documentation updates that do not alter the substance of the PR. The
> >> PR remains primarily the author's work, with minor co-authored fixes.
> >>
> >> This pattern offers several benefits:
> >>
> >>  - Efficiency: With agentic-assisted reviews, the AI already has the
> >> context and proposed fix, taking only seconds to apply and push.
> >>  - Faster Merges: Eliminates additional review roundtrips and avoids
> >> new conflicts from interim merges.
> >>  - Fewer Iterations: Prevents extra back-and-forth if a comment is
> >> misunderstood or incompletely fixed.
> >>  - Keeps Educational Value: The author receives both an explanation
> >> of the issue and code for the solution.
> >>  - PR Capacity: Frees up contributor PR slots sooner.
> >>  - Throughput: Helps us process a higher volume of PRs more quickly.
> >>
> >> The main tradeoff is that the author learns by reading rather than
> >> doing, which could potentially lead to a more relaxed approach to
> >> minor details. However, if restricted strictly to minor, mechanical
> >> adjustments—while still using "Request Changes" for larger gaps—I
> >> believe the benefits outweigh the downsides.
> >>
> >> I would love to hear what others—especially contributors and fellow
> >> maintainers—think about this workflow.
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >> Jarek
> >>
> >> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
> >> For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
> >>
> >
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
> > For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
> >
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]

Reply via email to