That probably wasn’t very clear.

“This” = allowing commits from maintainers on PRs opened from the 
astronomer/airflow fork, and the org policy is the on Astronomer GH org, not in 
the Airflow GH org.

> On 7 Oct 2026, at 09:59, Ash Berlin-Taylor <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> Org policy prevents us from changing this I think. Or at least I have never 
> been able to find a setting that changes this :( 
> 
>> On 6 Oct 2026, at 17:52, Jarek Potiuk <[email protected]> wrote:
>> 
>>> Plus isn’t this a configurable setting? i.e. when I open a PR from my fork 
>>> I can “allow edits from maintainers” 
>>> <https://docs.github.com/en/pull-requests/how-tos/work-with-forks/allowing-changes-to-a-pull-request-branch-created-from-a-fork>,
>>>  and you could argue I’m opting into this approach by checking that box.
>> 
>> Yes. It is. For example all astronomer people contributing from
>> astronomer repo have it disabled :D
>> 
>> On Tue, Oct 6, 2026 at 6:47 PM Julian LaNeve via dev
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> 
>>> This may be a personal thing but when I’ve made contributions to other OSS 
>>> projects I generally care more about getting the change in than I am 
>>> attached to my particular code / implementation. So I always look at it as 
>>> a win-win when someone takes my contribution and runs with it - I can 
>>> always go back and look at the changes to learn if I want.
>>> 
>>> Plus isn’t this a configurable setting? i.e. when I open a PR from my fork 
>>> I can “allow edits from maintainers” 
>>> <https://docs.github.com/en/pull-requests/how-tos/work-with-forks/allowing-changes-to-a-pull-request-branch-created-from-a-fork>,
>>>  and you could argue I’m opting into this approach by checking that box.
>>> 
>>>> On Oct 6, 2026, at 12:40 PM, Jarek Potiuk <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>> 
>>>> Just to share my experience - I think I did it many times (more than
>>>> 50) and never got any push-back. But of course that might be because
>>>> people are shy / afraid to oppose me (I have a reputation for being
>>>> difficult).
>>>> But when you think about it, there is no big **issue**:
>>>> 
>>>> * merging means that is no longer **author's code** - it becomes
>>>> "community code"
>>>> * maintainer's job is to make sure that the code is good and
>>>> maintainable (this approach makes it works)
>>>> * authorship remains - but also it's there is a co-author (this is
>>>> what is recorded in commit)
>>>> * if the committer does not agree with author, they can merge follow
>>>> up commit changing things anyway
>>>> 
>>>> So - putting aside some possible personal ("it's my own, my precious")
>>>> approach - I see no disadvantages of such an approach.
>>>> 
>>>> J.
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> On Tue, Oct 6, 2026 at 6:28 PM Ferruzzi, Dennis via dev
>>>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>>> 
>>>>> I've definitely considered it, but have not yet done it.  I think I'm 
>>>>> concerned that the contributor may take it the wrong way rather than "I 
>>>>> just fixed it while I was in there" and "it took just as long to fix it 
>>>>> as it would have taken to explain it".
>>>>> 
>>>>> - ferruzzi
>>>>> ________________________________
>>>>> From: Jarek Potiuk <[email protected]>
>>>>> Sent: Tuesday, October 6, 2026 1:17 AM
>>>>> To: [email protected] <[email protected]>
>>>>> Subject: [EXT] [DISCUSS] Merging "almost" ready PRs with 
>>>>> maintainer-fixups from contributors
>>>>> 
>>>>> CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not 
>>>>> click links or open attachments unless you can confirm the sender and 
>>>>> know the content is safe.
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> AVERTISSEMENT: Ce courrier électronique provient d’un expéditeur externe. 
>>>>> Ne cliquez sur aucun lien et n’ouvrez aucune pièce jointe si vous ne 
>>>>> pouvez pas confirmer l’identité de l’expéditeur et si vous n’êtes pas 
>>>>> certain que le contenu ne présente aucun risque.
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> Hello everyone,
>>>>> 
>>>>> In order to improve our "agentic AI" workflows, I have recently
>>>>> changed my approach for pull requests that are "almost ready" and need
>>>>> only small fixes, such as mechanical conflicts, typos, or minor
>>>>> comment updates. I would love to get your feedback on this pattern.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Previously, when a PR had one or two minor issues, I would approve it,
>>>>> add inline comments specifying the necessary changes, and ask the
>>>>> author to fix them. Recently, I have often adopted this approach
>>>>> instead:
>>>>> 
>>>>> - Make inline comments explaining the issue
>>>>> - Rebase and remove conflicts if needed
>>>>> - Apply the fixup myself (pushing directly to the contributor's branch).
>>>>> - Comment and resolve my own inline comments.
>>>>> - Approve and merge once CI checks pass.
>>>>> 
>>>>> I only do this for small gaps, edge cases, mechanical fixes, or
>>>>> documentation updates that do not alter the substance of the PR. The
>>>>> PR remains primarily the author's work, with minor co-authored fixes.
>>>>> 
>>>>> This pattern offers several benefits:
>>>>> 
>>>>> - Efficiency: With agentic-assisted reviews, the AI already has the
>>>>> context and proposed fix, taking only seconds to apply and push.
>>>>> - Faster Merges: Eliminates additional review roundtrips and avoids
>>>>> new conflicts from interim merges.
>>>>> - Fewer Iterations: Prevents extra back-and-forth if a comment is
>>>>> misunderstood or incompletely fixed.
>>>>> - Keeps Educational Value: The author receives both an explanation
>>>>> of the issue and code for the solution.
>>>>> - PR Capacity: Frees up contributor PR slots sooner.
>>>>> - Throughput: Helps us process a higher volume of PRs more quickly.
>>>>> 
>>>>> The main tradeoff is that the author learns by reading rather than
>>>>> doing, which could potentially lead to a more relaxed approach to
>>>>> minor details. However, if restricted strictly to minor, mechanical
>>>>> adjustments—while still using "Request Changes" for larger gaps—I
>>>>> believe the benefits outweigh the downsides.
>>>>> 
>>>>> I would love to hear what others—especially contributors and fellow
>>>>> maintainers—think about this workflow.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Best regards,
>>>>> Jarek
>>>>> 
>>>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
>>>>> For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
>>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
>>>> For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
>>>> 
>>> 
>> 
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
>> For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
>> 
> 
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
> 


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]

Reply via email to