Ah, so now here’s the possible point of contention:

Why does it need documenting? Our docs are already way, way WAY too long.

I’ve been doing this _for years_. It’s up to the reviewer, and is a natural 
part of GH PRs. 

-ash

> On 7 Oct 2026, at 12:13, Jarek Potiuk <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> Thanks for the feedback everyone !
> 
> Since this seems non-controversial (surprisingly) I will later today or
> tomorrow capture it in our contrbuting docs - so that our contributors are
> not surprised by it (or at least we can direct them to it). I will open PR
> later.
> 
> 
> On Wed, Oct 7, 2026, 11:42 Jarek Potiuk <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
>> 
>> 
>> On Wed, Oct 7, 2026, 11:19 Natanel <[email protected]> wrote:
>> 
>>> I think it's a very good idea, what we usually do (at our org) is that for
>>> small and minor changes, the reviewer adds suggestions, and the PR owner
>>> can accept if he agrees, this also solves the org policy issue IMO, maybe
>>> a
>>> good start is to encourage reviewers to leave suggestions for small
>>> changes
>>> rather than comments.
>>> 
>> 
>> Oh absolutely :). I think this is the 'gradation': comment/ online comment
>> (blocking unless resolved currently) / inline comment with suggestion /
>> direct fixup.
>> 
>> And we should IMHO choose whatever is appropriate depending on 'scope' of
>> fix and urgency of the PR - for example I am.much more  info fixups just
>> before preparing provider's release.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>>> It is limited to small changes, but from my point of view, an "almost
>>> done"
>>> pr only needs minor fixups.
>>> In case the PR owner does not reply and the PR is stale this might not
>>> work, yet I think users with read access should be able to accept those
>>> suggestions as well
>>> 
>>> Any thoughts about this proposal?
>>> 
>>> 
>>> On Wed, Oct 7, 2026, 11:59 Ash Berlin-Taylor <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> 
>>>> Org policy prevents us from changing this I think. Or at least I have
>>>> never been able to find a setting that changes this :(
>>>> 
>>>>> On 6 Oct 2026, at 17:52, Jarek Potiuk <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>>> 
>>>>>> Plus isn’t this a configurable setting? i.e. when I open a PR from my
>>>> fork I can “allow edits from maintainers” <
>>>> 
>>> https://docs.github.com/en/pull-requests/how-tos/work-with-forks/allowing-changes-to-a-pull-request-branch-created-from-a-fork
>>>> ,
>>>> and you could argue I’m opting into this approach by checking that box.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Yes. It is. For example all astronomer people contributing from
>>>>> astronomer repo have it disabled :D
>>>>> 
>>>>> On Tue, Oct 6, 2026 at 6:47 PM Julian LaNeve via dev
>>>>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> This may be a personal thing but when I’ve made contributions to
>>> other
>>>> OSS projects I generally care more about getting the change in than I am
>>>> attached to my particular code / implementation. So I always look at it
>>> as
>>>> a win-win when someone takes my contribution and runs with it - I can
>>>> always go back and look at the changes to learn if I want.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Plus isn’t this a configurable setting? i.e. when I open a PR from my
>>>> fork I can “allow edits from maintainers” <
>>>> 
>>> https://docs.github.com/en/pull-requests/how-tos/work-with-forks/allowing-changes-to-a-pull-request-branch-created-from-a-fork
>>>> ,
>>>> and you could argue I’m opting into this approach by checking that box.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> On Oct 6, 2026, at 12:40 PM, Jarek Potiuk <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> Just to share my experience - I think I did it many times (more than
>>>>>>> 50) and never got any push-back. But of course that might be because
>>>>>>> people are shy / afraid to oppose me (I have a reputation for being
>>>>>>> difficult).
>>>>>>> But when you think about it, there is no big **issue**:
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> * merging means that is no longer **author's code** - it becomes
>>>>>>> "community code"
>>>>>>> * maintainer's job is to make sure that the code is good and
>>>>>>> maintainable (this approach makes it works)
>>>>>>> * authorship remains - but also it's there is a co-author (this is
>>>>>>> what is recorded in commit)
>>>>>>> * if the committer does not agree with author, they can merge follow
>>>>>>> up commit changing things anyway
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> So - putting aside some possible personal ("it's my own, my
>>> precious")
>>>>>>> approach - I see no disadvantages of such an approach.
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> J.
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> On Tue, Oct 6, 2026 at 6:28 PM Ferruzzi, Dennis via dev
>>>>>>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> I've definitely considered it, but have not yet done it.  I think
>>> I'm
>>>> concerned that the contributor may take it the wrong way rather than "I
>>>> just fixed it while I was in there" and "it took just as long to fix it
>>> as
>>>> it would have taken to explain it".
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> - ferruzzi
>>>>>>>> ________________________________
>>>>>>>> From: Jarek Potiuk <[email protected]>
>>>>>>>> Sent: Tuesday, October 6, 2026 1:17 AM
>>>>>>>> To: [email protected] <[email protected]>
>>>>>>>> Subject: [EXT] [DISCUSS] Merging "almost" ready PRs with
>>>> maintainer-fixups from contributors
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do
>>>> not click links or open attachments unless you can confirm the sender
>>> and
>>>> know the content is safe.
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> AVERTISSEMENT: Ce courrier électronique provient d’un expéditeur
>>>> externe. Ne cliquez sur aucun lien et n’ouvrez aucune pièce jointe si
>>> vous
>>>> ne pouvez pas confirmer l’identité de l’expéditeur et si vous n’êtes pas
>>>> certain que le contenu ne présente aucun risque.
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> Hello everyone,
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> In order to improve our "agentic AI" workflows, I have recently
>>>>>>>> changed my approach for pull requests that are "almost ready" and
>>> need
>>>>>>>> only small fixes, such as mechanical conflicts, typos, or minor
>>>>>>>> comment updates. I would love to get your feedback on this pattern.
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> Previously, when a PR had one or two minor issues, I would approve
>>> it,
>>>>>>>> add inline comments specifying the necessary changes, and ask the
>>>>>>>> author to fix them. Recently, I have often adopted this approach
>>>>>>>> instead:
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> - Make inline comments explaining the issue
>>>>>>>> - Rebase and remove conflicts if needed
>>>>>>>> - Apply the fixup myself (pushing directly to the contributor's
>>>> branch).
>>>>>>>> - Comment and resolve my own inline comments.
>>>>>>>> - Approve and merge once CI checks pass.
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> I only do this for small gaps, edge cases, mechanical fixes, or
>>>>>>>> documentation updates that do not alter the substance of the PR.
>>> The
>>>>>>>> PR remains primarily the author's work, with minor co-authored
>>> fixes.
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> This pattern offers several benefits:
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> - Efficiency: With agentic-assisted reviews, the AI already has the
>>>>>>>> context and proposed fix, taking only seconds to apply and push.
>>>>>>>> - Faster Merges: Eliminates additional review roundtrips and avoids
>>>>>>>> new conflicts from interim merges.
>>>>>>>> - Fewer Iterations: Prevents extra back-and-forth if a comment is
>>>>>>>> misunderstood or incompletely fixed.
>>>>>>>> - Keeps Educational Value: The author receives both an explanation
>>>>>>>> of the issue and code for the solution.
>>>>>>>> - PR Capacity: Frees up contributor PR slots sooner.
>>>>>>>> - Throughput: Helps us process a higher volume of PRs more quickly.
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> The main tradeoff is that the author learns by reading rather than
>>>>>>>> doing, which could potentially lead to a more relaxed approach to
>>>>>>>> minor details. However, if restricted strictly to minor, mechanical
>>>>>>>> adjustments—while still using "Request Changes" for larger gaps—I
>>>>>>>> believe the benefits outweigh the downsides.
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> I would love to hear what others—especially contributors and fellow
>>>>>>>> maintainers—think about this workflow.
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> Best regards,
>>>>>>>> Jarek
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> 
>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
>>>>>>>> For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> 
>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
>>>>>>> For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
>>>>> For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
>>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
>>>> For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>> 
>> 


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]

Reply via email to