<[email protected]> wrote:

> That probably wasn’t very clear.
>
> “This” = allowing commits from maintainers on PRs opened from the
> astronomer/airflow fork, and the org policy is the on Astronomer GH org,
> not in the Airflow GH org.
>


Yep it's an org setting. And this is fine - it is in control of the person
or organisations to enable/disable it - and it's perfectly fine for
Astronomer or other orgs to disable this for their PRs - and in this case
what might work instead is PR to the original PR :)



> > On 7 Oct 2026, at 09:59, Ash Berlin-Taylor <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Org policy prevents us from changing this I think. Or at least I have
> never been able to find a setting that changes this :(
> >
> >> On 6 Oct 2026, at 17:52, Jarek Potiuk <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>
> >>> Plus isn’t this a configurable setting? i.e. when I open a PR from my
> fork I can “allow edits from maintainers” <
> https://docs.github.com/en/pull-requests/how-tos/work-with-forks/allowing-changes-to-a-pull-request-branch-created-from-a-fork>,
> and you could argue I’m opting into this approach by checking that box.
> >>
> >> Yes. It is. For example all astronomer people contributing from
> >> astronomer repo have it disabled :D
> >>
> >> On Tue, Oct 6, 2026 at 6:47 PM Julian LaNeve via dev
> >> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>>
> >>> This may be a personal thing but when I’ve made contributions to other
> OSS projects I generally care more about getting the change in than I am
> attached to my particular code / implementation. So I always look at it as
> a win-win when someone takes my contribution and runs with it - I can
> always go back and look at the changes to learn if I want.
> >>>
> >>> Plus isn’t this a configurable setting? i.e. when I open a PR from my
> fork I can “allow edits from maintainers” <
> https://docs.github.com/en/pull-requests/how-tos/work-with-forks/allowing-changes-to-a-pull-request-branch-created-from-a-fork>,
> and you could argue I’m opting into this approach by checking that box.
> >>>
> >>>> On Oct 6, 2026, at 12:40 PM, Jarek Potiuk <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>>>
> >>>> Just to share my experience - I think I did it many times (more than
> >>>> 50) and never got any push-back. But of course that might be because
> >>>> people are shy / afraid to oppose me (I have a reputation for being
> >>>> difficult).
> >>>> But when you think about it, there is no big **issue**:
> >>>>
> >>>> * merging means that is no longer **author's code** - it becomes
> >>>> "community code"
> >>>> * maintainer's job is to make sure that the code is good and
> >>>> maintainable (this approach makes it works)
> >>>> * authorship remains - but also it's there is a co-author (this is
> >>>> what is recorded in commit)
> >>>> * if the committer does not agree with author, they can merge follow
> >>>> up commit changing things anyway
> >>>>
> >>>> So - putting aside some possible personal ("it's my own, my precious")
> >>>> approach - I see no disadvantages of such an approach.
> >>>>
> >>>> J.
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> On Tue, Oct 6, 2026 at 6:28 PM Ferruzzi, Dennis via dev
> >>>> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>>>>
> >>>>> I've definitely considered it, but have not yet done it.  I think
> I'm concerned that the contributor may take it the wrong way rather than "I
> just fixed it while I was in there" and "it took just as long to fix it as
> it would have taken to explain it".
> >>>>>
> >>>>> - ferruzzi
> >>>>> ________________________________
> >>>>> From: Jarek Potiuk <[email protected]>
> >>>>> Sent: Tuesday, October 6, 2026 1:17 AM
> >>>>> To: [email protected] <[email protected]>
> >>>>> Subject: [EXT] [DISCUSS] Merging "almost" ready PRs with
> maintainer-fixups from contributors
> >>>>>
> >>>>> CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do
> not click links or open attachments unless you can confirm the sender and
> know the content is safe.
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>> AVERTISSEMENT: Ce courrier électronique provient d’un expéditeur
> externe. Ne cliquez sur aucun lien et n’ouvrez aucune pièce jointe si vous
> ne pouvez pas confirmer l’identité de l’expéditeur et si vous n’êtes pas
> certain que le contenu ne présente aucun risque.
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Hello everyone,
> >>>>>
> >>>>> In order to improve our "agentic AI" workflows, I have recently
> >>>>> changed my approach for pull requests that are "almost ready" and
> need
> >>>>> only small fixes, such as mechanical conflicts, typos, or minor
> >>>>> comment updates. I would love to get your feedback on this pattern.
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Previously, when a PR had one or two minor issues, I would approve
> it,
> >>>>> add inline comments specifying the necessary changes, and ask the
> >>>>> author to fix them. Recently, I have often adopted this approach
> >>>>> instead:
> >>>>>
> >>>>> - Make inline comments explaining the issue
> >>>>> - Rebase and remove conflicts if needed
> >>>>> - Apply the fixup myself (pushing directly to the contributor's
> branch).
> >>>>> - Comment and resolve my own inline comments.
> >>>>> - Approve and merge once CI checks pass.
> >>>>>
> >>>>> I only do this for small gaps, edge cases, mechanical fixes, or
> >>>>> documentation updates that do not alter the substance of the PR. The
> >>>>> PR remains primarily the author's work, with minor co-authored fixes.
> >>>>>
> >>>>> This pattern offers several benefits:
> >>>>>
> >>>>> - Efficiency: With agentic-assisted reviews, the AI already has the
> >>>>> context and proposed fix, taking only seconds to apply and push.
> >>>>> - Faster Merges: Eliminates additional review roundtrips and avoids
> >>>>> new conflicts from interim merges.
> >>>>> - Fewer Iterations: Prevents extra back-and-forth if a comment is
> >>>>> misunderstood or incompletely fixed.
> >>>>> - Keeps Educational Value: The author receives both an explanation
> >>>>> of the issue and code for the solution.
> >>>>> - PR Capacity: Frees up contributor PR slots sooner.
> >>>>> - Throughput: Helps us process a higher volume of PRs more quickly.
> >>>>>
> >>>>> The main tradeoff is that the author learns by reading rather than
> >>>>> doing, which could potentially lead to a more relaxed approach to
> >>>>> minor details. However, if restricted strictly to minor, mechanical
> >>>>> adjustments—while still using "Request Changes" for larger gaps—I
> >>>>> believe the benefits outweigh the downsides.
> >>>>>
> >>>>> I would love to hear what others—especially contributors and fellow
> >>>>> maintainers—think about this workflow.
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Best regards,
> >>>>> Jarek
> >>>>>
> >>>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> >>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
> >>>>> For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
> >>>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> >>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
> >>>> For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>
> >> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
> >> For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
> >>
> >
> >
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
> > For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
> >
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
>
>

Reply via email to