On Wed, Oct 7, 2026, 11:19 Natanel <[email protected]> wrote:

> I think it's a very good idea, what we usually do (at our org) is that for
> small and minor changes, the reviewer adds suggestions, and the PR owner
> can accept if he agrees, this also solves the org policy issue IMO, maybe a
> good start is to encourage reviewers to leave suggestions for small changes
> rather than comments.
>

Oh absolutely :). I think this is the 'gradation': comment/ online comment
(blocking unless resolved currently) / inline comment with suggestion /
direct fixup.

And we should IMHO choose whatever is appropriate depending on 'scope' of
fix and urgency of the PR - for example I am.much more  info fixups just
before preparing provider's release.





> It is limited to small changes, but from my point of view, an "almost done"
> pr only needs minor fixups.
> In case the PR owner does not reply and the PR is stale this might not
> work, yet I think users with read access should be able to accept those
> suggestions as well
>
> Any thoughts about this proposal?
>
>
> On Wed, Oct 7, 2026, 11:59 Ash Berlin-Taylor <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Org policy prevents us from changing this I think. Or at least I have
> > never been able to find a setting that changes this :(
> >
> > > On 6 Oct 2026, at 17:52, Jarek Potiuk <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >
> > >> Plus isn’t this a configurable setting? i.e. when I open a PR from my
> > fork I can “allow edits from maintainers” <
> >
> https://docs.github.com/en/pull-requests/how-tos/work-with-forks/allowing-changes-to-a-pull-request-branch-created-from-a-fork
> >,
> > and you could argue I’m opting into this approach by checking that box.
> > >
> > > Yes. It is. For example all astronomer people contributing from
> > > astronomer repo have it disabled :D
> > >
> > > On Tue, Oct 6, 2026 at 6:47 PM Julian LaNeve via dev
> > > <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >>
> > >> This may be a personal thing but when I’ve made contributions to other
> > OSS projects I generally care more about getting the change in than I am
> > attached to my particular code / implementation. So I always look at it
> as
> > a win-win when someone takes my contribution and runs with it - I can
> > always go back and look at the changes to learn if I want.
> > >>
> > >> Plus isn’t this a configurable setting? i.e. when I open a PR from my
> > fork I can “allow edits from maintainers” <
> >
> https://docs.github.com/en/pull-requests/how-tos/work-with-forks/allowing-changes-to-a-pull-request-branch-created-from-a-fork
> >,
> > and you could argue I’m opting into this approach by checking that box.
> > >>
> > >>> On Oct 6, 2026, at 12:40 PM, Jarek Potiuk <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >>>
> > >>> Just to share my experience - I think I did it many times (more than
> > >>> 50) and never got any push-back. But of course that might be because
> > >>> people are shy / afraid to oppose me (I have a reputation for being
> > >>> difficult).
> > >>> But when you think about it, there is no big **issue**:
> > >>>
> > >>> * merging means that is no longer **author's code** - it becomes
> > >>> "community code"
> > >>> * maintainer's job is to make sure that the code is good and
> > >>> maintainable (this approach makes it works)
> > >>> * authorship remains - but also it's there is a co-author (this is
> > >>> what is recorded in commit)
> > >>> * if the committer does not agree with author, they can merge follow
> > >>> up commit changing things anyway
> > >>>
> > >>> So - putting aside some possible personal ("it's my own, my
> precious")
> > >>> approach - I see no disadvantages of such an approach.
> > >>>
> > >>> J.
> > >>>
> > >>>
> > >>> On Tue, Oct 6, 2026 at 6:28 PM Ferruzzi, Dennis via dev
> > >>> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >>>>
> > >>>> I've definitely considered it, but have not yet done it.  I think
> I'm
> > concerned that the contributor may take it the wrong way rather than "I
> > just fixed it while I was in there" and "it took just as long to fix it
> as
> > it would have taken to explain it".
> > >>>>
> > >>>> - ferruzzi
> > >>>> ________________________________
> > >>>> From: Jarek Potiuk <[email protected]>
> > >>>> Sent: Tuesday, October 6, 2026 1:17 AM
> > >>>> To: [email protected] <[email protected]>
> > >>>> Subject: [EXT] [DISCUSS] Merging "almost" ready PRs with
> > maintainer-fixups from contributors
> > >>>>
> > >>>> CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do
> > not click links or open attachments unless you can confirm the sender and
> > know the content is safe.
> > >>>>
> > >>>>
> > >>>>
> > >>>> AVERTISSEMENT: Ce courrier électronique provient d’un expéditeur
> > externe. Ne cliquez sur aucun lien et n’ouvrez aucune pièce jointe si
> vous
> > ne pouvez pas confirmer l’identité de l’expéditeur et si vous n’êtes pas
> > certain que le contenu ne présente aucun risque.
> > >>>>
> > >>>>
> > >>>>
> > >>>> Hello everyone,
> > >>>>
> > >>>> In order to improve our "agentic AI" workflows, I have recently
> > >>>> changed my approach for pull requests that are "almost ready" and
> need
> > >>>> only small fixes, such as mechanical conflicts, typos, or minor
> > >>>> comment updates. I would love to get your feedback on this pattern.
> > >>>>
> > >>>> Previously, when a PR had one or two minor issues, I would approve
> it,
> > >>>> add inline comments specifying the necessary changes, and ask the
> > >>>> author to fix them. Recently, I have often adopted this approach
> > >>>> instead:
> > >>>>
> > >>>> - Make inline comments explaining the issue
> > >>>> - Rebase and remove conflicts if needed
> > >>>> - Apply the fixup myself (pushing directly to the contributor's
> > branch).
> > >>>> - Comment and resolve my own inline comments.
> > >>>> - Approve and merge once CI checks pass.
> > >>>>
> > >>>> I only do this for small gaps, edge cases, mechanical fixes, or
> > >>>> documentation updates that do not alter the substance of the PR. The
> > >>>> PR remains primarily the author's work, with minor co-authored
> fixes.
> > >>>>
> > >>>> This pattern offers several benefits:
> > >>>>
> > >>>> - Efficiency: With agentic-assisted reviews, the AI already has the
> > >>>> context and proposed fix, taking only seconds to apply and push.
> > >>>> - Faster Merges: Eliminates additional review roundtrips and avoids
> > >>>> new conflicts from interim merges.
> > >>>> - Fewer Iterations: Prevents extra back-and-forth if a comment is
> > >>>> misunderstood or incompletely fixed.
> > >>>> - Keeps Educational Value: The author receives both an explanation
> > >>>> of the issue and code for the solution.
> > >>>> - PR Capacity: Frees up contributor PR slots sooner.
> > >>>> - Throughput: Helps us process a higher volume of PRs more quickly.
> > >>>>
> > >>>> The main tradeoff is that the author learns by reading rather than
> > >>>> doing, which could potentially lead to a more relaxed approach to
> > >>>> minor details. However, if restricted strictly to minor, mechanical
> > >>>> adjustments—while still using "Request Changes" for larger gaps—I
> > >>>> believe the benefits outweigh the downsides.
> > >>>>
> > >>>> I would love to hear what others—especially contributors and fellow
> > >>>> maintainers—think about this workflow.
> > >>>>
> > >>>> Best regards,
> > >>>> Jarek
> > >>>>
> > >>>>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > >>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
> > >>>> For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
> > >>>>
> > >>>
> > >>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > >>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
> > >>> For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
> > >>>
> > >>
> > >
> > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
> > > For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
> > >
> >
> >
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
> > For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
> >
> >
>

Reply via email to