I do this from time to time (probably not 50+ times, though...), but mostly 
with contributors only.
If I were that contributor, I'd be perfectly fine with someone making a small 
fix to my PR and merging it.
At the end of the day, we're here to get the problem solved.

Best,
Wei

On 2026/10/06 16:52:08 Jarek Potiuk wrote:
> > Plus isn’t this a configurable setting? i.e. when I open a PR from my fork 
> > I can “allow edits from maintainers” 
> > <https://docs.github.com/en/pull-requests/how-tos/work-with-forks/allowing-changes-to-a-pull-request-branch-created-from-a-fork>,
> >  and you could argue I’m opting into this approach by checking that box.
> 
> Yes. It is. For example all astronomer people contributing from
> astronomer repo have it disabled :D
> 
> On Tue, Oct 6, 2026 at 6:47 PM Julian LaNeve via dev
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > This may be a personal thing but when I’ve made contributions to other OSS 
> > projects I generally care more about getting the change in than I am 
> > attached to my particular code / implementation. So I always look at it as 
> > a win-win when someone takes my contribution and runs with it - I can 
> > always go back and look at the changes to learn if I want.
> >
> > Plus isn’t this a configurable setting? i.e. when I open a PR from my fork 
> > I can “allow edits from maintainers” 
> > <https://docs.github.com/en/pull-requests/how-tos/work-with-forks/allowing-changes-to-a-pull-request-branch-created-from-a-fork>,
> >  and you could argue I’m opting into this approach by checking that box.
> >
> > > On Oct 6, 2026, at 12:40 PM, Jarek Potiuk <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Just to share my experience - I think I did it many times (more than
> > > 50) and never got any push-back. But of course that might be because
> > > people are shy / afraid to oppose me (I have a reputation for being
> > > difficult).
> > > But when you think about it, there is no big **issue**:
> > >
> > > * merging means that is no longer **author's code** - it becomes
> > > "community code"
> > > * maintainer's job is to make sure that the code is good and
> > > maintainable (this approach makes it works)
> > > * authorship remains - but also it's there is a co-author (this is
> > > what is recorded in commit)
> > > * if the committer does not agree with author, they can merge follow
> > > up commit changing things anyway
> > >
> > > So - putting aside some possible personal ("it's my own, my precious")
> > > approach - I see no disadvantages of such an approach.
> > >
> > > J.
> > >
> > >
> > > On Tue, Oct 6, 2026 at 6:28 PM Ferruzzi, Dennis via dev
> > > <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >>
> > >> I've definitely considered it, but have not yet done it.  I think I'm 
> > >> concerned that the contributor may take it the wrong way rather than "I 
> > >> just fixed it while I was in there" and "it took just as long to fix it 
> > >> as it would have taken to explain it".
> > >>
> > >> - ferruzzi
> > >> ________________________________
> > >> From: Jarek Potiuk <[email protected]>
> > >> Sent: Tuesday, October 6, 2026 1:17 AM
> > >> To: [email protected] <[email protected]>
> > >> Subject: [EXT] [DISCUSS] Merging "almost" ready PRs with 
> > >> maintainer-fixups from contributors
> > >>
> > >> CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not 
> > >> click links or open attachments unless you can confirm the sender and 
> > >> know the content is safe.
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> AVERTISSEMENT: Ce courrier électronique provient d’un expéditeur 
> > >> externe. Ne cliquez sur aucun lien et n’ouvrez aucune pièce jointe si 
> > >> vous ne pouvez pas confirmer l’identité de l’expéditeur et si vous 
> > >> n’êtes pas certain que le contenu ne présente aucun risque.
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> Hello everyone,
> > >>
> > >> In order to improve our "agentic AI" workflows, I have recently
> > >> changed my approach for pull requests that are "almost ready" and need
> > >> only small fixes, such as mechanical conflicts, typos, or minor
> > >> comment updates. I would love to get your feedback on this pattern.
> > >>
> > >> Previously, when a PR had one or two minor issues, I would approve it,
> > >> add inline comments specifying the necessary changes, and ask the
> > >> author to fix them. Recently, I have often adopted this approach
> > >> instead:
> > >>
> > >>  - Make inline comments explaining the issue
> > >>  - Rebase and remove conflicts if needed
> > >>  - Apply the fixup myself (pushing directly to the contributor's branch).
> > >>  - Comment and resolve my own inline comments.
> > >>  - Approve and merge once CI checks pass.
> > >>
> > >> I only do this for small gaps, edge cases, mechanical fixes, or
> > >> documentation updates that do not alter the substance of the PR. The
> > >> PR remains primarily the author's work, with minor co-authored fixes.
> > >>
> > >> This pattern offers several benefits:
> > >>
> > >>  - Efficiency: With agentic-assisted reviews, the AI already has the
> > >> context and proposed fix, taking only seconds to apply and push.
> > >>  - Faster Merges: Eliminates additional review roundtrips and avoids
> > >> new conflicts from interim merges.
> > >>  - Fewer Iterations: Prevents extra back-and-forth if a comment is
> > >> misunderstood or incompletely fixed.
> > >>  - Keeps Educational Value: The author receives both an explanation
> > >> of the issue and code for the solution.
> > >>  - PR Capacity: Frees up contributor PR slots sooner.
> > >>  - Throughput: Helps us process a higher volume of PRs more quickly.
> > >>
> > >> The main tradeoff is that the author learns by reading rather than
> > >> doing, which could potentially lead to a more relaxed approach to
> > >> minor details. However, if restricted strictly to minor, mechanical
> > >> adjustments—while still using "Request Changes" for larger gaps—I
> > >> believe the benefits outweigh the downsides.
> > >>
> > >> I would love to hear what others—especially contributors and fellow
> > >> maintainers—think about this workflow.
> > >>
> > >> Best regards,
> > >> Jarek
> > >>
> > >> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > >> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
> > >> For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
> > >>
> > >
> > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
> > > For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
> > >
> >
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
> 
> 

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]

Reply via email to