Thanks for the feedback everyone !

Since this seems non-controversial (surprisingly) I will later today or
tomorrow capture it in our contrbuting docs - so that our contributors are
not surprised by it (or at least we can direct them to it). I will open PR
later.


On Wed, Oct 7, 2026, 11:42 Jarek Potiuk <[email protected]> wrote:

>
>
> On Wed, Oct 7, 2026, 11:19 Natanel <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I think it's a very good idea, what we usually do (at our org) is that for
>> small and minor changes, the reviewer adds suggestions, and the PR owner
>> can accept if he agrees, this also solves the org policy issue IMO, maybe
>> a
>> good start is to encourage reviewers to leave suggestions for small
>> changes
>> rather than comments.
>>
>
> Oh absolutely :). I think this is the 'gradation': comment/ online comment
> (blocking unless resolved currently) / inline comment with suggestion /
> direct fixup.
>
> And we should IMHO choose whatever is appropriate depending on 'scope' of
> fix and urgency of the PR - for example I am.much more  info fixups just
> before preparing provider's release.
>
>
>
>
>
>> It is limited to small changes, but from my point of view, an "almost
>> done"
>> pr only needs minor fixups.
>> In case the PR owner does not reply and the PR is stale this might not
>> work, yet I think users with read access should be able to accept those
>> suggestions as well
>>
>> Any thoughts about this proposal?
>>
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 7, 2026, 11:59 Ash Berlin-Taylor <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > Org policy prevents us from changing this I think. Or at least I have
>> > never been able to find a setting that changes this :(
>> >
>> > > On 6 Oct 2026, at 17:52, Jarek Potiuk <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > >
>> > >> Plus isn’t this a configurable setting? i.e. when I open a PR from my
>> > fork I can “allow edits from maintainers” <
>> >
>> https://docs.github.com/en/pull-requests/how-tos/work-with-forks/allowing-changes-to-a-pull-request-branch-created-from-a-fork
>> >,
>> > and you could argue I’m opting into this approach by checking that box.
>> > >
>> > > Yes. It is. For example all astronomer people contributing from
>> > > astronomer repo have it disabled :D
>> > >
>> > > On Tue, Oct 6, 2026 at 6:47 PM Julian LaNeve via dev
>> > > <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > >>
>> > >> This may be a personal thing but when I’ve made contributions to
>> other
>> > OSS projects I generally care more about getting the change in than I am
>> > attached to my particular code / implementation. So I always look at it
>> as
>> > a win-win when someone takes my contribution and runs with it - I can
>> > always go back and look at the changes to learn if I want.
>> > >>
>> > >> Plus isn’t this a configurable setting? i.e. when I open a PR from my
>> > fork I can “allow edits from maintainers” <
>> >
>> https://docs.github.com/en/pull-requests/how-tos/work-with-forks/allowing-changes-to-a-pull-request-branch-created-from-a-fork
>> >,
>> > and you could argue I’m opting into this approach by checking that box.
>> > >>
>> > >>> On Oct 6, 2026, at 12:40 PM, Jarek Potiuk <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > >>>
>> > >>> Just to share my experience - I think I did it many times (more than
>> > >>> 50) and never got any push-back. But of course that might be because
>> > >>> people are shy / afraid to oppose me (I have a reputation for being
>> > >>> difficult).
>> > >>> But when you think about it, there is no big **issue**:
>> > >>>
>> > >>> * merging means that is no longer **author's code** - it becomes
>> > >>> "community code"
>> > >>> * maintainer's job is to make sure that the code is good and
>> > >>> maintainable (this approach makes it works)
>> > >>> * authorship remains - but also it's there is a co-author (this is
>> > >>> what is recorded in commit)
>> > >>> * if the committer does not agree with author, they can merge follow
>> > >>> up commit changing things anyway
>> > >>>
>> > >>> So - putting aside some possible personal ("it's my own, my
>> precious")
>> > >>> approach - I see no disadvantages of such an approach.
>> > >>>
>> > >>> J.
>> > >>>
>> > >>>
>> > >>> On Tue, Oct 6, 2026 at 6:28 PM Ferruzzi, Dennis via dev
>> > >>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > >>>>
>> > >>>> I've definitely considered it, but have not yet done it.  I think
>> I'm
>> > concerned that the contributor may take it the wrong way rather than "I
>> > just fixed it while I was in there" and "it took just as long to fix it
>> as
>> > it would have taken to explain it".
>> > >>>>
>> > >>>> - ferruzzi
>> > >>>> ________________________________
>> > >>>> From: Jarek Potiuk <[email protected]>
>> > >>>> Sent: Tuesday, October 6, 2026 1:17 AM
>> > >>>> To: [email protected] <[email protected]>
>> > >>>> Subject: [EXT] [DISCUSS] Merging "almost" ready PRs with
>> > maintainer-fixups from contributors
>> > >>>>
>> > >>>> CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do
>> > not click links or open attachments unless you can confirm the sender
>> and
>> > know the content is safe.
>> > >>>>
>> > >>>>
>> > >>>>
>> > >>>> AVERTISSEMENT: Ce courrier électronique provient d’un expéditeur
>> > externe. Ne cliquez sur aucun lien et n’ouvrez aucune pièce jointe si
>> vous
>> > ne pouvez pas confirmer l’identité de l’expéditeur et si vous n’êtes pas
>> > certain que le contenu ne présente aucun risque.
>> > >>>>
>> > >>>>
>> > >>>>
>> > >>>> Hello everyone,
>> > >>>>
>> > >>>> In order to improve our "agentic AI" workflows, I have recently
>> > >>>> changed my approach for pull requests that are "almost ready" and
>> need
>> > >>>> only small fixes, such as mechanical conflicts, typos, or minor
>> > >>>> comment updates. I would love to get your feedback on this pattern.
>> > >>>>
>> > >>>> Previously, when a PR had one or two minor issues, I would approve
>> it,
>> > >>>> add inline comments specifying the necessary changes, and ask the
>> > >>>> author to fix them. Recently, I have often adopted this approach
>> > >>>> instead:
>> > >>>>
>> > >>>> - Make inline comments explaining the issue
>> > >>>> - Rebase and remove conflicts if needed
>> > >>>> - Apply the fixup myself (pushing directly to the contributor's
>> > branch).
>> > >>>> - Comment and resolve my own inline comments.
>> > >>>> - Approve and merge once CI checks pass.
>> > >>>>
>> > >>>> I only do this for small gaps, edge cases, mechanical fixes, or
>> > >>>> documentation updates that do not alter the substance of the PR.
>> The
>> > >>>> PR remains primarily the author's work, with minor co-authored
>> fixes.
>> > >>>>
>> > >>>> This pattern offers several benefits:
>> > >>>>
>> > >>>> - Efficiency: With agentic-assisted reviews, the AI already has the
>> > >>>> context and proposed fix, taking only seconds to apply and push.
>> > >>>> - Faster Merges: Eliminates additional review roundtrips and avoids
>> > >>>> new conflicts from interim merges.
>> > >>>> - Fewer Iterations: Prevents extra back-and-forth if a comment is
>> > >>>> misunderstood or incompletely fixed.
>> > >>>> - Keeps Educational Value: The author receives both an explanation
>> > >>>> of the issue and code for the solution.
>> > >>>> - PR Capacity: Frees up contributor PR slots sooner.
>> > >>>> - Throughput: Helps us process a higher volume of PRs more quickly.
>> > >>>>
>> > >>>> The main tradeoff is that the author learns by reading rather than
>> > >>>> doing, which could potentially lead to a more relaxed approach to
>> > >>>> minor details. However, if restricted strictly to minor, mechanical
>> > >>>> adjustments—while still using "Request Changes" for larger gaps—I
>> > >>>> believe the benefits outweigh the downsides.
>> > >>>>
>> > >>>> I would love to hear what others—especially contributors and fellow
>> > >>>> maintainers—think about this workflow.
>> > >>>>
>> > >>>> Best regards,
>> > >>>> Jarek
>> > >>>>
>> > >>>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> > >>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
>> > >>>> For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
>> > >>>>
>> > >>>
>> > >>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> > >>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
>> > >>> For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
>> > >>>
>> > >>
>> > >
>> > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> > > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
>> > > For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
>> > >
>> >
>> >
>> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
>> > For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
>> >
>> >
>>
>

Reply via email to