Org policy prevents us from changing this I think. Or at least I have never 
been able to find a setting that changes this :( 

> On 6 Oct 2026, at 17:52, Jarek Potiuk <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
>> Plus isn’t this a configurable setting? i.e. when I open a PR from my fork I 
>> can “allow edits from maintainers” 
>> <https://docs.github.com/en/pull-requests/how-tos/work-with-forks/allowing-changes-to-a-pull-request-branch-created-from-a-fork>,
>>  and you could argue I’m opting into this approach by checking that box.
> 
> Yes. It is. For example all astronomer people contributing from
> astronomer repo have it disabled :D
> 
> On Tue, Oct 6, 2026 at 6:47 PM Julian LaNeve via dev
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> 
>> This may be a personal thing but when I’ve made contributions to other OSS 
>> projects I generally care more about getting the change in than I am 
>> attached to my particular code / implementation. So I always look at it as a 
>> win-win when someone takes my contribution and runs with it - I can always 
>> go back and look at the changes to learn if I want.
>> 
>> Plus isn’t this a configurable setting? i.e. when I open a PR from my fork I 
>> can “allow edits from maintainers” 
>> <https://docs.github.com/en/pull-requests/how-tos/work-with-forks/allowing-changes-to-a-pull-request-branch-created-from-a-fork>,
>>  and you could argue I’m opting into this approach by checking that box.
>> 
>>> On Oct 6, 2026, at 12:40 PM, Jarek Potiuk <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> 
>>> Just to share my experience - I think I did it many times (more than
>>> 50) and never got any push-back. But of course that might be because
>>> people are shy / afraid to oppose me (I have a reputation for being
>>> difficult).
>>> But when you think about it, there is no big **issue**:
>>> 
>>> * merging means that is no longer **author's code** - it becomes
>>> "community code"
>>> * maintainer's job is to make sure that the code is good and
>>> maintainable (this approach makes it works)
>>> * authorship remains - but also it's there is a co-author (this is
>>> what is recorded in commit)
>>> * if the committer does not agree with author, they can merge follow
>>> up commit changing things anyway
>>> 
>>> So - putting aside some possible personal ("it's my own, my precious")
>>> approach - I see no disadvantages of such an approach.
>>> 
>>> J.
>>> 
>>> 
>>> On Tue, Oct 6, 2026 at 6:28 PM Ferruzzi, Dennis via dev
>>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>> 
>>>> I've definitely considered it, but have not yet done it.  I think I'm 
>>>> concerned that the contributor may take it the wrong way rather than "I 
>>>> just fixed it while I was in there" and "it took just as long to fix it as 
>>>> it would have taken to explain it".
>>>> 
>>>> - ferruzzi
>>>> ________________________________
>>>> From: Jarek Potiuk <[email protected]>
>>>> Sent: Tuesday, October 6, 2026 1:17 AM
>>>> To: [email protected] <[email protected]>
>>>> Subject: [EXT] [DISCUSS] Merging "almost" ready PRs with maintainer-fixups 
>>>> from contributors
>>>> 
>>>> CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not 
>>>> click links or open attachments unless you can confirm the sender and know 
>>>> the content is safe.
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> AVERTISSEMENT: Ce courrier électronique provient d’un expéditeur externe. 
>>>> Ne cliquez sur aucun lien et n’ouvrez aucune pièce jointe si vous ne 
>>>> pouvez pas confirmer l’identité de l’expéditeur et si vous n’êtes pas 
>>>> certain que le contenu ne présente aucun risque.
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> Hello everyone,
>>>> 
>>>> In order to improve our "agentic AI" workflows, I have recently
>>>> changed my approach for pull requests that are "almost ready" and need
>>>> only small fixes, such as mechanical conflicts, typos, or minor
>>>> comment updates. I would love to get your feedback on this pattern.
>>>> 
>>>> Previously, when a PR had one or two minor issues, I would approve it,
>>>> add inline comments specifying the necessary changes, and ask the
>>>> author to fix them. Recently, I have often adopted this approach
>>>> instead:
>>>> 
>>>> - Make inline comments explaining the issue
>>>> - Rebase and remove conflicts if needed
>>>> - Apply the fixup myself (pushing directly to the contributor's branch).
>>>> - Comment and resolve my own inline comments.
>>>> - Approve and merge once CI checks pass.
>>>> 
>>>> I only do this for small gaps, edge cases, mechanical fixes, or
>>>> documentation updates that do not alter the substance of the PR. The
>>>> PR remains primarily the author's work, with minor co-authored fixes.
>>>> 
>>>> This pattern offers several benefits:
>>>> 
>>>> - Efficiency: With agentic-assisted reviews, the AI already has the
>>>> context and proposed fix, taking only seconds to apply and push.
>>>> - Faster Merges: Eliminates additional review roundtrips and avoids
>>>> new conflicts from interim merges.
>>>> - Fewer Iterations: Prevents extra back-and-forth if a comment is
>>>> misunderstood or incompletely fixed.
>>>> - Keeps Educational Value: The author receives both an explanation
>>>> of the issue and code for the solution.
>>>> - PR Capacity: Frees up contributor PR slots sooner.
>>>> - Throughput: Helps us process a higher volume of PRs more quickly.
>>>> 
>>>> The main tradeoff is that the author learns by reading rather than
>>>> doing, which could potentially lead to a more relaxed approach to
>>>> minor details. However, if restricted strictly to minor, mechanical
>>>> adjustments—while still using "Request Changes" for larger gaps—I
>>>> believe the benefits outweigh the downsides.
>>>> 
>>>> I would love to hear what others—especially contributors and fellow
>>>> maintainers—think about this workflow.
>>>> 
>>>> Best regards,
>>>> Jarek
>>>> 
>>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
>>>> For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
>>>> 
>>> 
>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
>>> For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
>>> 
>> 
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
> 


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]

Reply via email to