Nice discussion! A few comments:

> I do not think that we need projects to opt in to this. Badges are not
aimed at projects. They are aimed at *people*.

Disagree. Projects should have the autonomy to decide if they want to adopt
the ASF badging system for their contributions. I do not see why a project
would opt-out, but if they want to they should have this prerrogative.

> I am worried about gamification and a flood of PRs just to get badges.

What’s the worry? A flood of PRs seems like a good thing for projects
needing contributions. 😊

> Some people may not want badges; they should not be forced to have them
if they happen to meet the criteria.

Badges need to be accepted by the awardee before being emitted.

> Personally, I do not see the point of them.

You are probably not the target audience for badges if you are a seasoned
contributor.

> I wonder if there are there any privacy issue we should be able to
foresee?

priv...@apache.org should determine if the privacy policy of the chosen
badging provider is acceptable, Badging WG members should not worry about
this.