> On Mar 20, 2024, at 11:59 AM, Paulo Motta <pa...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Rich:
>
> I need some time to better elaborate this. I will prepare sometime in the
> next week or so a short doc explaining what am I proposing, what problem it
> solves and how it intersects with the badging tool object of this working
> group.
>
> I suspect we might be thinking about similar things but in different terms,
> right now I’m just doing unstructured brainstorming.
>
> On the meantime, can you briefly describe what problem are you trying to
> solve with this badging system, and what do you expect from it to ensure
> we’re talking about the same things? If this is already described somewhere
> please let me know and I will use it to check if this intersects with the
> proposal I have in mind.

The purpose of badging is discussed here:
https://github.com/apache/comdev-working-groups/tree/main/wg-badging

In brief, it’s to celebrate and gamify moments in individuals’ community
journey. It’s a way for people to brag/celebrate/display their accomplishments,
since this is something that has been shown to motivate not only participation,
but for people to expand outside of their usual habitual sphere of
participation and try other things.

Tying it to Apache IDs is reasonable because this is for us. It’s for our
community. It’s to make others want to be part of our community, sure, but
primarily it’s for our community. Having a (very very small, I might note)
barrier to entry is totally reasonable. And creating a new, separate ID system
actively defeats the link with the community, not to mention introducing new
complications.

Celebrating achievements in community is a building block for tighter community
relationships. I encourage everyone on the ComDev project to read The Art of
Community by Charles Vogl, because there’s a TON of science around how to build
community that we, in open source, tend to be largely unaware of, going back
decades, and we miss out on a LOT of simple low-hanging opportunities to draw
people in, and strengthen what we have. This is one of them.