> And what if someone else later joins as an ASF committer with the id
'doejohn'?
What would their badge page be?

That particular badging username would be unavailable and they would have
to select another handle for their badging page when registering as
committer (if they opt-in to the badging system), since they inhabit
different namespaces. Is this a problem?

I am hoping that a contributor would already have selected its badging ID
before it became a committer, so it would use that as an “external
identifier” to authenticate its contributions with external parties, while
the ASF ID is more of an “internal” identifier so they serve different
purposes.

It would be ideal if badging ID and ASF ids are congruent, but is it really
a problem if they’re not?

I admit this is not ideal, but it’s not the end of the world either. What
would matter for the badging system is only the badging system id, and it
would be technically orthogonal to the ASF id.

The page badges.apache.org would have a field to indicate the ASF id of
that badge holder, which can be in some situations a different handle since
they represent different things.

Current ASF IDs user would  have the right for their username in the
badging system since new users would not be allowed to use existing ASF IDs
as badge handle.