On Wed, 20 Mar 2024 at 15:59, Paulo Motta <pa...@apache.org> wrote:

> This is fair Sebb. I concede a separate namespace makes sense. This would
> also likely simplify the solution so we don't need to worry about clashes.
>
> Instead of overloading people.apache.org namespace which is associated with
> an ASF ID, I think it makes more sense to create a separate namespace
> instead, like contributors.apache.org/doejohn or badges.apache.org/doejohn .
>
> If the "doejohn" ASF ID handle is taken when the contributor "doejohn"
> becomes a committer, then it can just use something else as an ASF ID like
> "doejohn99" and call it a day.

And what if someone else later joins as an ASF committer with the id 'doejohn'?
What would their badge page be?

> In order to avoid contributors taking up existing ASF ID handles in the
> badging system which could create confusion, I think we would need to check
> if an ASF ID does not exist when creating the badging handle.
>
> Does this make sense?

It does not solve the fundamental issue.

The only way to solve it is to ensure that the bare ids inhabit a
different namespace from the ASF ids.

For example, badge ids could use Greek letters.
This is not a serious solution, but is a way to illustrate what I mean
about disjoint namespaces.