Thanks for the additional context Rich. I might have derailed a bit since I
was looking to improve the onboarding of new contributors (without ASF ID)
into the apache ecosystem, which IMO has some intersection with the badging
system, but it's definitely not the same thing.

I'll sleep on this, do some homework and get back to this later. Stay
tuned! :)

In the meantime anyone else feel free to take up the original questions
posed by Rich in the beginning of the thread so we get back on topic.