On 07/23/2014 12:17 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
> Am 07/23/2014 02:34 PM, schrieb Emanuele:
>> Kay Schenk wrote:
>>> Do to recent updates to the download logic
>>>
>>> /download/other.html
>>>
>>> still exists as an entity but its basically blank since the table no
>>> longer
>>> renders.
>>>
>>> According to our Google Analytics, this page has quite a number of
>>> references, including using it as a convenient way to show what
>>> languages
>>> we have releases for --
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/projects/native-lang.html.
>>>

>>> Should we retool this based on the new changes? Or....
>>>
>>> ...  even without js, to just provide basic information like the
>>> native-lang name, and links over to the latest binary area for that
>>> language on SourceForge?
>>>
>>> Example:
>>> German (de)      ->
>>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/4.1.0/binaries/de/
>>>

>>> or ????
>>>

>> Out of curiosity: the use of javascript to build the table is because
>> you prefer javascript or a plain html would be good as well?
>
> before this JS table we had indeed plain HTML that had to be updated for
> every new release (links, version, data). No fun and error prone.
>
> So, I've created a script that has done this automatically. I've used JS
> because there was nothing else possible - at least not for me. ;-)
>
>> Because after my digging last time, I'm pretty sure (well, I mostly did
>> it) that it's possible to generate the entire table during the build
>> adding few subs to view.pm and using some "trick".
>> For example I used a piece of JSON enclosed in kind of HTML tags that I
>> then parsed and "converted" into the table.
>> You can see the code at [1] it doesn't work entirely, for example the
>> SDK table is not built and the version in the title is not added, but
>> the rest is more or less working.
>>
>> Emanuele
>>
>> [1] https://gist.github.com/emanuele45/e7f7e73d05172da5981c
>
> That looks good. However, I think I've to disappoint you a bit. ;-(
>
> Now that we have the drop-down-box on the main download webpage, the
> users can choose themselves what they want to have. No need for a large
> table anymore.
>
> We shouldn't simply delete the webpage as the Google hits are really
> high and shouldn't get lost. But for AOO 4.1.1 we can place a short text
> and link to the main download. So, we can fade out this over the time.
>
> Marcus

I think the downlaod drop-down box is a HUGE step forward for our user
base, no doubt about it.

But I really LIKE other.html as well. I hope we can find some middle
ground on keeping it. Emanuele's code here has got me thinking about
investigating the CMS/Django approach more.