On 9/2/2016 11:30 AM, Bruce Byfield wrote:
On September 2, 2016 10:59:55 AM Phillip Rhodes wrote:
OK, counter-point to the other thread... let's talk specifically about
what needs to happen next, given that some (plenty|most|all|???) of us
want this project to
continue moving forward.

What has to happen next?  What is the most important thing/things we
could be
working on?  What could I do *right now* to help move things in a
positive direction?

How can we attract more developers?  How do we counter the FUD that is
already being promulgated in response to the "retirement" discussion?
etc...

If you excuse the comment from an outsider, I suggest the question you
need to answer is: What can Apache OpenOffice offer that related
projects like LibreOffice cannot?

From my individual point of view, the biggest single contribution is actually competition. Monopolies tend to go bad in various ways. I joined AOO because I want to have a choice of major free office software suites.

Apache's licensing model opens up additional competition space, because of the potential for use of our source code in other products, including but not limited to LibreOffice.