On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 8:02 AM, Fernando Cassia <fcas...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/3/17, Damjan Jovanovic <dam...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Now what:
> > 1. Ship our own builds of OpenJDK, in matching bitness. Do the licences
> > (GPL for JVM, GPL-with-classpath-exception for class library) allow us
> to?
> > 2. Drop Windows as a platform, since it's the only affected platform
> (*nix
> > users usually install distro OpenJDK packages so 32 bit OpenJDK will be
> > available for 32 bit AOO). We have no Win64 AOO.
> > 3. Drop 32 bit versions of AOO and add Win64 support.
> > 4. Or drop Java entirely and port our Java code to eg. .NET core, which
> is
> > liberally licensed and private copies of it can be shipped?
> >
> > Damjan
>
> Tempest in a teapot. You do know that Oracle isn't the only provider
> of Java or OpenJDK, right?

> 1. You can buiild your own 32-bit x86 binary based on OpenJDK sources.
> 2. make AOO compile OK on 64 bit thus making AOO a 64-bit Windows app,
> able to use any 64-bit JRE (Oracle JRE, IBM JRE, Azul's Zulu JRE)
> 3. Have you asked Azul Systems if they can provide a 32-bit build?
> 4. Compile the Java code in AOO as native with Java 9's AOT compiler?
> http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/295
>
> Just my $0.02
> FC

​As a bystander, I'm wondering just how alarming this news is to Apache
OpenOffice.

The builds are using Java 6 or 7, right?​

 I'm still on 32-bit Linux for now but my default OpenJDK is 1.8. I can run
AOO fine with it but must use 1.7 for building.

MzK

"Only the truth will save you now."
                         -- Ensei Tankado, "Digital Fortress"