Am 03.10.2017 um 22:26 schrieb Kay Schenk:
On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 8:02 AM, Fernando Cassia <fcas...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 10/3/17, Damjan Jovanovic <dam...@apache.org> wrote:
Now what:
1. Ship our own builds of OpenJDK, in matching bitness. Do the licences
(GPL for JVM, GPL-with-classpath-exception for class library) allow us
to?
2. Drop Windows as a platform, since it's the only affected platform
(*nix
users usually install distro OpenJDK packages so 32 bit OpenJDK will be
available for 32 bit AOO). We have no Win64 AOO.
3. Drop 32 bit versions of AOO and add Win64 support.
4. Or drop Java entirely and port our Java code to eg. .NET core, which
is
liberally licensed and private copies of it can be shipped?

Damjan

Tempest in a teapot. You do know that Oracle isn't the only provider
of Java or OpenJDK, right?

1. You can buiild your own 32-bit x86 binary based on OpenJDK sources.
2. make AOO compile OK on 64 bit thus making AOO a 64-bit Windows app,
able to use any 64-bit JRE (Oracle JRE, IBM JRE, Azul's Zulu JRE)
3. Have you asked Azul Systems if they can provide a 32-bit build?
4. Compile the Java code in AOO as native with Java 9's AOT compiler?
http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/295

Just my $0.02
FC

​As a bystander, I'm wondering just how alarming this news is to Apache
OpenOffice.

IMHO not at all. Java 9 was published just 2 weeks ago. So, it will take some time until it's the favorite one. Until then 8 is developer's darling.

The builds are using Java 6 or 7, right?​

With the next larger release (probably 4.2.0) we will use Java 8 which should last a longer time. Time enough to decide what to do with the dependency of Java 32-bit.

  I'm still on 32-bit Linux for now but my default OpenJDK is 1.8. I can run
AOO fine with it but must use 1.7 for building.

Marcus