Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
1. Ship our own builds of OpenJDK, in matching bitness. Do the licences
(GPL for JVM, GPL-with-classpath-exception for class library) allow us to?
To answer my own question, we can't ship OpenJDK - according to
http://apache.org/legal/resolved.html#optional "Apache projects cannot
distribute any such components within their releases".

Well, "we can't" is always simplistic when coming to Apache rules. If something can't be distributed WITHIN a release (a source release) it may still be possible to bundle it with the the binary releases, much like what we do with dictionaries. Of course this needs discussion and validation (and a lot of patience) but the process can be started if we see value in it as a temporary fix.

Regards,
  Andrea.