> On 2018/02/12 20:42:58, Jonathan Gallimore <jonathan.gallim...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 8:20 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <
> rmannibu...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > No Andy, as mentionned in the discussion Geronimo hosts the
> microprofile
> > > @asf. This is why jwt should probably be done in geronimo which is the
> asf
> > > ee related project umbrella.
> > >

> > I don't recall that discussion. Where did it take place?
>
> I *think* he meant me.  The only time JWT came up on Geronimo was at [1].
> I had mentioned bringing over an impl based on Jose4J, Romain felt very
> strongly we mustn't rely on 3rd party libraries.  I'm not sure why that is,
> but it seemed based on the discussion we had two different aims so it
> wasn't something I pushed forward on.  If there's interest within TomEE to
> get a JWT impl up and running, I'd be happy to help (though I do feel
> strongly relying on a 3rd party lib for the actual signature validation +
> external sig support is important; to avoid that overhead).

Was more referring to the discussion on the umbrella project and effort
aggregator than jwt spec in particular. This is the discussion Mark spoke
about in the other thread.

> RE MP @ TomEE/Geronimo.  I don't believe there's any hard or fast rules
> about what projects are allowed to host.  For example, there's interest
> within Skywalking to host the CDI and JAX-RS extensions to support OpenApi;
> but this spec doesn't represent something any server vendor would support
> since its really about your APM solution.  CXF happily took on the MP Rest
> Client when I proposed it; though I would hope TomEE relies on the CXF
> library instead of crafting their own client (selfish desires).  The JWT
> spec is weird, because it defined non MP runtime behavior in addition to MP
> runtime behavior; so there may be more integration work in a fuller app
> server like TomEE.

Yep, rule was more to try to put it where it fits naturally (like you did
for cxf) and if there is no natural home put it in the umbrella project
which is G today.
The dependency point is something we can discuss, my rational was 1. to
avoid conflicts which will happen with jjwt, jose etc... (you can also say
"happens" if you consider cxf ecosystem and usages) and 2. avoid to build a
200M server for that few features. Since this code is pretty simple I would
do it from scratch but a well configured shade can be an acceptable first
step to gain time as mentionned in the discussion about fault-tolerance.