On Friday, 8 December 2017 at 22:22:14 UTC, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) wrote:
On 12/08/2017 05:53 AM, Chris wrote:
[...]

Speaking as a US citizen, it's long been my observation that americans (and I only mean collectively, of course, it's difficult to generalize down to individuals since that varies greatly) tend to be far more conservative than one would assume them to be.

Just as one example: The various genres of electronic music. Always succeeded far better in europe than they ever did the US. Americans would hear it and just bitch about "soulless", "doesn't require musical talent" and other such [nonsence]. But turn on (for example) BBC's Top Gear and they had recognizable Prodigy, Crystal Method, etc all over the place. And heck, most of Fluke's catalog isn't even available in the US. That sort of stuff just doesn't sell very well over here. Americans like their "three main acoustic cords" and steady simple 4/4 beats.

Even "silicon vally" isn't quite so much "open to new technology" as it is driven primarily by buzz and popularity.

And then there's the last presidential election, which, and I don't mean this to be snarky, just honest observation: it clearly demonstrated there's far more white tra...*cough*...umm..."ultra-conservatives" here than anyone ever thought.

From what I hear, we're one of the few remaining industrialized nations that has capital punishment. Whether that's good/bad is completely beside the point here, the point being: Either way, it's undeniably conservative.

Despite perhaps tipping my hand a bit, I really don't mean any of that as ranting at all, just illustrating that it DOES make sense that europe would be more open to D than the US:

Because the US *is* paradoxically much more conservative than one would expect from a relatively young country that produces as much software and electronics as it does. Whether that conservativeness is good/bad/other is open to opinion, but either way, it is what it is, and I think D's higher rate of success elsewhere can be traced to that.

Isn't that just culture (music) how popular is American Country music in Europe? I have met one person that liked it. Trump is hardly an ultra-conservative (not to mention the various groups of conservatism social, fiscal, neo, etc..). Alot of the whites u mentioned voted for Obama last time around and are just scared of globalism and knew the alternative would push further down that path. Not all D users look at forums and while I do agree their are far more users visible in Europe that doesn't mean it's not used here as well.