Manifestos are beautiful - and I can't argue with these - but it's the
practice and process of any methodology carried out by real people that is
all that matters. The communist manifesto was a work of literary art. Stalin
killed 50 million people. Manifestos don't always lead to good outcomes in
reality.

On Feb 13, 2008 5:38 AM, Jeff White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I realize I'm the wrong Jeff, but here are the values:
>
> Manifesto for Agile Software Development
>
> We are uncovering better ways of developing
> software by doing it and helping others do it.
> Through this work we have come to value:
>
> Individuals and interactions over processes and tools
> Working software over comprehensive documentation
> Customer collaboration over contract negotiation
> Responding to change over following a plan
>
> That is, while there is value in the items on
> the right, we value the items on the left more.
>
> http://agilemanifesto.org/
>
> On Feb 12, 2008 11:34 PM, David Malouf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Jeff, can you please lay out these "values" you speak of?
> > The reason I ask is that every agile method I have been acquainted with
> (and
> > quite a few) have real processes and methods to them, not values.
> > I do realize there are differences among them at a granular level but
> there
> > are many repeat processes.
> >
> > 1. small iterations
> > 2. don't document
> >
> > Those 2 seem to jump to mind.
> > Almost all have a point where they "consider" users.
> > But then again, I know many design processes that don't do that much.
> >
> > But this is doing design.
> >
> > If you are going to quote Bill, to try to support agile, that is really
> > leap, don't ya think. Since his talk was fully grounded to talk about
> > "design up front" to the point of getting a green light, considered with
> > collaboration throughout both pre and post-greenlight. Doesn't seem very
> > agile to me?
> >
> > In the end, my problem has always been, one of forced assimilation. Tell
> me
> > a designer centered agile process and I will rescind what I've been
> saying.
> > But the values associated with agile all derive from engineering
> concerns,
> > and in themselves are a protectionist reaction to businesses deep upset
> with
> > "time to market" (a concept that Alan tried to tell us was flawed).
> >
> > Maybe there is a way to do design centric agile product lifecycles, or
> > better to Jared's point, just holistic agile processes. I have not seen
> them
> > yet.
> > To be honest, I'm not in a rush.
> >
> > BTW, the end result of both software and hardware is the same. A
> product.
> > The difference is that one is done with a factory of machines and the
> other
> > is done with a factory of human beings. A single product is made in
> either
> > case. I also think that my comment about the fungeability of software
> has
> > not been addressed. That is to say that software no matter the platform
> is
> [...]

~ will

"No matter how beautiful,
no matter how cool your interface,
it would be better if there were less of it."
Alan Cooper
-
"Where you innovate, how you innovate,
and what you innovate are design problems"