On Aug 21, 2009, at 9:59 AM, Elizabeth Buie wrote:

Thanks for the clear statement, Jared.

So, to answer your question, if you're talking about research from a scientific standpoint, I think the eye tracking equipment is a great idea. Add it to a quality driving simulator and you can learn a ton.

Yes, this is exactly what I'm talking about. I'm sorry if it wasn't clear in my first post on this topic.

If you're talking about designing some sort of product or tool to help you communicate while driving,

Nope. In fact, I am not at all convinced that that is even possible: It's a problem of the attention required by the communication, not an issue of the means used.

To (possibly unnecessarily) clarify further:

I have nothing against the hardware or its use.

My issue has to do with the claims we make about what we can "learn" by using it in specific contexts, particularly when identifying issues about a screen's design.

Jared