That simulation does not even come close to accurately simulating
driving while texting.  I don't want to admit how I know that.
Maybe if you were trying to send a text while competing in a NASCAR
event or something.

In the ET-texting-while-driving case, the data could be used to test
whether design changes incrementally reduce the time drivers are
distracted.  It is theoretically possible that several of these
changes may be combined to create a miracle device that is safe to
use for texting while driving.  No think-aloud test is going to parse
out those milisecond differences, and an experiment where you compare
(simulated, I hope) accident rates would need such a high N it would
cost WAY more than an eye-tracking device.

jz