Shure ist not so hard to configure,
If you know Dspam.

Its normal for us who knows how and what to do with dspam (more or less :-)
to say its not hard to configure.
We forgot how hard the first time was :-)

But I see there no way out. Dspam is a Product for Hosters not enduser. Its
their normal job getting into complex Applications, adapt them and use them.

If you want to make it easier thers a simple solution:
First Restrukture the Documentation or make two of it.
Means One is a Step by Step first install, second the inside all about Dpsam
Documentation.

This will help at first steps. They have to learn it more inside anyway and
this I not nessesary a bad thing.

I think its absolutely the wrong investing now time into make it easier
instead of bringing dspam into his next generation.
How many daemons you know where the setup is easy?
Did you ever setup and apache host (ther are compileoptions a user take days
to understand what they man and even years to know when they need them and
not even to think about the configuration)...

No dpsam is design to be an enterpriselevel system not an enduser desktop
filter. The question is not to make a setup easier.
The question is how to make it easier to understand dspam and its strukture
 - here the apache website documentation is a good way to go .....

BTW I want to say again that it would be really nessesary getting rid of
saved files into the Filesystem and replace it with a database driven system
(even when it means that hash no longer works).
It will make things simplier - many permission issue will be solved that
way. Even Problems to scale the system and many other things